the car - chapter two

At around three in the morning, Rebecca was bored and decided to leave early. "Hey Laura! Ima head home but I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay!" Laura said, not really paying attention to Rebecca as she was dancing with some guy.

Rebecca quietly exited the party, stumbling a bit as they began to walk home. It wasn't super far, but it was cold and they were wearing a skirt so that definitely wasn't helpful. But they weren't even a block from the party before it became colder and colder. An impala drove up next to Rebecca, the window rolled down. The stranger seemed rather concerned. Rebecca felt a tingling sensation, but on their forearm this time.

"Hey, you okay?" The voice asked.

"Do you want me to be truthful?"

"Sure."

"Not that great, one of my high school bullies wants to be my friend now, I'm cold, I'm tired and I'm about ready to pass out."

The man in the car paused for a moment before responding, "do you need a ride home?"

Rebecca nodded and got in the backseat without a second thought. They were honestly too tired to remember nor care about the 'don't get in strangers cars' talk their mom had with them when they were younger. They told the man their address and laid down in the backseat.

"My name's Dean by the way, what's your name?" The man questioned.

"Rebecca, but I quite frankly don't care what you call me."

"Alright. Listen to any music?" Dean responded, trying to come up with a topic of conversation.

"Mmh, I don't listen to music all too much but if I do it's either pop or rock, maybe a little bit of some other things too."

"Are you a Kansas type of person?" Dean asked with a small smirk as he pulled out his cassette and began to play it.

Rebecca sat up quickly. "Oh hell yeah!" They shouted, their words slurring together as they grew excited. They had this cassette in their home so they knew every track like the back of their hand.

The two sang along as they made their way to Rebecca's apartment. When they finally got to the apartment, Dean parked and helped Rebecca out of the car.

"Do you want me to walk you to the door or can you handle it?" He asked.

"Mmh no, I should be fine, thank you though." Rebecca responded, but as they went to swivel their body around to head into the warmth of their home, they tripped over themself. If it weren't for Dean gripping their forearm and pulling them back on their feet, they most likely would have face planted.

Rebecca felt a burning sensation on their forearm. It wasn't super bad, it felt like when you get a scrape. Without thinking, they gripped his wrist to get him to let go. Without hesitation, he let go and pulled his sleeve up a bit to look at the back of his wrist. The brunette in front of him slipped their flannel off their arm. The black ink that was originally on their arm had been replaced with a dark red, which read, 'Hey, you okay?' Rebecca looked at Dean's wrist, which had pink wording and read, 'Do you want me to be truthful?' The two's eyes met and Rebecca swore the world stopped around the two, as cliche as that sounds.

"Does yours-" Dean started.

"Mmhm." Rebecca finished.

"So we're-"

"Yep."

"Holy shit.." Dean muttered, looking back down at his wrist in disbelief. A moment later a smile rose onto his face and he couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

Rebecca felt a bit confused. "Why are you laughing..?"

"I just-.. I began to think I wouldn't find my soulmate.. But here we are." Dean responded, looking at Rebecca again, his smile widening even more as he stared at the girl.

"Uh- do you want to come inside then?" Rebecca asked.

"Uh- I actually can't but here, give me your phone." He said, holding his hand out.

Rebecca took their phone out of their bag and opened it, handing it to Dean. He put his number in and handed it back. The girl slipped it into their bag again. Dean began to walk away but the brown eyed girl spoke up.

"You're just gonna leave without even a hug or a kiss?" Rebecca pouted.

Dean turned to look at them. He shook his head but he still had a smile on his face. "Your needy aren't you?" He got closer and pulled them into him tightly. He kissed the top of their head.

Rebecca smiled and hugged him back. "Mmh, sometimes yes, sometimes no." They responded.

Dean let out a chuckle and let go of them. "Well. I'll see you around then." He said before getting in his Impala and leaving.

Rebecca quickly went into their apartment and changed into a pair of pajamas. They watched television before passing out on the couch.