A Change in Fate

What if the Potters had never made Peter Pettigrew their secret keeper?

What if Sirius Black was never wrongfully convicted and instead had a family?

What if James and Lily had survived that dreadful night on Halloween?

Now what if, that were reality....?

That night, on October 31st, 1981, the Potters had made it out alive from Voldemort's attack and lived to tell the tale. Their one year old son Harry, surviving a killing curse with only a scar. Voldemort was stripped and weakened of his power that night- close to death- but not completely gone.

Sirius Black had never been made their secret keeper, nor did they suggest Peter, instead, making Sirius wife- Katrina Black the keeper. It turned out to be the best decision of their life.

Pettigrew was sent to Azkaban, the Potters became heroes to the Wizarding World, and Sirius got to safely live with his wife and daughter. All was well...

        ..or was it..?

Rianne Adhara Dupont-Black. The heiress to the Black and Dupont fortune and the daughter of Sirius and his wife Katrina. He had met Katrina during their time at Hogwarts and had fallen for the witch, who was apparently able to tame Black's lady's man heart and nature. Not long after they got engaged, they had Rianne- on March 6th of 1980. And not soon after, they got married with their little one as the flower girl- obviously with the help of her god-father Remus. Then in July of that year, the boy who lived was born.

The two kids were raised side by side, and as much as the parents wished they would grow up like siblings, all it took was one incident when they were two to blow the plan up in their face.

At the age of 2, when Harry had purposefully knocked over Rianne's block tower in the living room of the Potters' household, in retaliation, she hid his stuffed dog, which resulted in Harry pulling on her hair. That was all it took for a rivalry, a hatred, if you would call it, to form between the two kids. That disliking continued all the way throughout their childhood and well into their preteen years, where still the rude remarks and comebacks (and maybe attacks) hadn't stopped.

If they had their wands at that age, they for sure would have hexed each other into oblivion the first chance they got.

All hopes that James and Sirius had of their kids becoming best mates and trouble-makers like the pair of them flew out the window when they realized they couldn't even spend 5 minutes in a room together in peace without one trying to kill the other. Needless to say, they hated each other.

In March, on Rianne's 11th birthday, she had not only received one, but two acceptance letters. Both from different schools. One was her Hogwarts acceptance letter from McGonagall, but the other was from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic from Madame Maxime. Both her and Sirius were stunned at the second letter, neither expecting a letter from Beauxbatons, but Katrina had expected it- after all, she had also received a letter from the French school when she was young, on countless occasions, especially since she comes from a well known French bloodline- the Dupont, which are practically royalty.

Not to mention, Rianne is an ⅛ veela, Katrina being a ¼ veela. Their family had had a line of veelas somewhere, but it wasnt until Rianne's great grandmother where a full veela appeared in the lineage. So really, it was no surprise to Katrina when the second letter from Maxime had arrived.

Both Sirius and Katrina had made sure to teach their daughter French- since both families are technically French and her grandmother would have her mother's head if she didn't know French. And just upon hearing about Beauxbatons and the fact that it is in France, Rianne immediately decided that that is where she wants to go- much to the dismay of Sirius and James.

Katrina was glad that she took such interest in her French heritage while Lily was conflicted on what side to choose. And Harry, Harry couldn't be happier upon hearing that Rianne would be attending a different school in a different country until they graduate and that he wont ever have to see her as much. That pretty much sealed the deal for him and he literally threatened Sirius that if he makes her go to Hogwarts with him, Gryffindor Tower will have another ghost.

Harry, obviously, had only received a letter from Hogwarts and was elated that he gets to go to the school that his godfather, father, and uncle talk so fondly about. Although she would have loved to go to Hogwarts and explore the castle, Beaxbatons felt more right for Rianne and that she would truly love it there.

And so came the day of September 1st, 1991, where the 2 families split up (Remus joining the Blacks to send his goddaughter off) to drop their kids off. Lily and James accompanied Harry to Platform 9 ¾ while the Lupin-Blacks flood to a platform near Paris- Wizarding Paris- and arrived at the Carriage Platform, where dozens of winged horses stood at bay with dozens of huge carriages behind them.

The sight itself seemed straight out of a fairy-tale, where Remus had to actually pinch himself to make sure he wasnt dreaming. Sirius was too shocked to say anything and Rianne stood there in awe of the beauty of the horses. Katrina, however, was all too used to the sight since she had accompanied her sister and cousins to the platform on numerous occasions, before she herself went to Hogwarts. Final goodbyes were said and hugs were given until the carriages were pulled out and the horses flew away, taking the students to the French school.

A Potter and a Black. Both at different schools and hate each other. Basically, Sirius and James worst nightmare- well now reality.

But what was to come in their later years was something no one was prepared for.

Some would say it was a change in fate...