Y2- Christmas without Tradition

_______________

Polyjuice potions brewing, final clothes being perfected, being stuck under loads of paperwork, was it Christmas or another Spring day?

If it was Christmas, it certainly didn't feel like it. At least not for the Blacks, the Potters, or even the Lupin. Both kids had coincidentally stayed at school for the Christmas of '92, leaving a trail of misery- or miserable parents- in their wake.

It would be the first Christmas they all didn't spend as a family. The first Christmas where traditions were broken. The first one where the laughter and screams of terror didn't fill the manor.

The first Christmas where they all broke a promise.

Rianne was busy in Berlin, with her holiday project and shoot.

Harry was trying to get information out of a stuck up Malfoy.

Remus Lupin was away, visiting his father. He had gone alone to visit Lyall, he rarely ever did but some things can't be so easily said.

Lily Potter was hidden away in both her work and home office, collaboratively working with the Hogwarts nurse to improve the mandrake draught. Being constantly in and out of the house, her own husband barely saw her these days. It was just impeccable timing when she had to leave to meet with another potioneer.

Katrina Black had been called away by the French ministry, reasons unknown to everyone in the house.

Marlene and Dorcas were on their own little holiday, needing a break from Britain for a while. The on and off pair needed a little vacation away from home, their friends expecting a verdict by the end of it. What they could have been expecting by the end of it could go many different directions.

Adela Dupont was once again on a business trip, this time to Egypt. Unfortunately for her, her colleagues had decided that the holidays were the perfect time to pull people in for work to another country.

That left James Potter and Sirius Black. The two brooding men alone on Christmas Eve. Their first Christmas eve alone together since their third year.

And honestly, it was quite depressing for the two Gryffindors- alone together in a big empty, undecorated manor that didn't look like Rudolph threw up on it. Instead it looked like something out of the Grinch.

It eerily reminded Sirius of how plain his home used to be. Big, empty, no laughter, just plain depressing.

It certainly did not feel like Christmas that year. Until a savior, by the name of Mrs. Weasley came their way.

***

"We really do not wish to impose Molly-" James started, trying to resist the woman's power to pull him into the house.

"Yeah we can always just-" Sirius tried but to no avail.

"Oh hush! Both of you- no one should spend Christmas Eve by themselves!"

Molly Weasley had quite literally dragged the two men inside of the burrow when they showed hesitance on ruining her evening. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had originally planned to go visit their eldest son in Egypt, though with the recent troubles at the ministry, attacks at the school, and their son being swamped with work, they decided to stay home for the holidays. The rest of their children had other plans at the castle.

Though, the house was buzzing with the sound of Christmas music, pots clanking in preparation for dinner and if you listened close enough, you could hear the distant fireworks going off in the country side. And in the corner of the living room, next to all of the brightly decorated stockings, you can see Arthur Weasley having his own fun with a broken muggle telephone he had found.