[10] the memories

┌───── ∘₊✧₊∘ ─────┐

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍
the memories

└───── ∘₊✧₊∘ ─────┘

( pack mentality; pt.ii )

EVERYTHING that's gone down in the span of less than twenty—four hours— scratch that, less that twelve hours is becoming too much for Maddie to try and wrap her head around. She's tried to process all the information linearly, but the issue is it all connects, so in some round—a—bout way, she may as well just pick any point and start with that. But for the sake of her sanity, she does start linearly. Maddie woke up with a gut feeling that something was up with Allison, then Scott reveals he dreamt about killing Allison, and then in Chemistry there was a guy wheeled away, cuts and bruises on his body and screaming bloody murder.

Right now, the small group is focused on the latter, Scott freaking out about how, while he may not have attacked Allison, he did attack someone. The guilt is eating him alive. Maddie remembers when Scott wouldn't even kill the spider in his room because he was worried that its mother would be sad——albeit he was twelve, but that thoughtfulness never went away. The story ends with him trapping the spider under a cup and paper, letting it go outside. She's pretty sure that as soon as he turned away, a bird had swooped in and grabbed it, ending its already short life, but to keep Scott's mind at ease, she never told him.

That was a spider, this is a human being. While there is circumstantial evidence that points to Scott being the culprit——the dream, the werewolfness of it all——Maddie doesn't believe he could have done it, she knows he's not capable of it. Although her mind had drifted to the possibility of it, he may have controlled himself once but what's to say he didn't lose control last night? It's what had Maddie terrified of being near him even with a ten—foot pole.

Regardless, Scott is the softest person she knows, and becoming a werewolf hasn't changed that in the slightest.

Lunch comes to pass a few hours after Chemistry, Maddie and Stiles trying to do anything in their power to get Scott to stop worrying about john—doe—guy—he—may—have—mauled. And Stiles brings up a good point against Scott's debacle of "I dreamt that I attacked someone on that bus."

"But dreams aren't memories," he argues as they approach their table in the cafeteria, trays in hand.

"Then it wasn't a dream," Scott says, pulling out his chair, glancing up to watch his friends do the same, sitting on the opposite side to him. "Something happened last night, and I can't remember what."

"But in the dream or memory or whatever the hell it was, you attacked Allison," Maddie chimes in, giving Scott a gentle pointed look as she tucks her chair in a little. "Pretty sure that wasn't her."

Stiles sighs, twisting the lid on his water bottle. "What makes you so sure that Derek even has all the answers?"

"Because during the full moon he wasn't changed. He was in total control while I was running around in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy."

Scott frowns to himself, and Maddie looks over to him, her doubt furrowing her brows. Stiles has the same issue as he points out, "You don't know that."

"But I don't not know it." Scott lets out a defeated sigh. "I can't go out with Allison. I have to cancel."

Maddie points her fork at Scott's chest, shaking her head with an instant order leaving her lips. "You're not cancelling."