[17] the school trip

┌───── ∘₊✧₊∘ ─────┐

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
the school trip

└───── ∘₊✧₊∘ ─────┘

( heart monitor; pt.iv—night school; pt.i )

NOW all is left to do is wait. Scott and Stiles are outwardly showing their giddiness as they walk away from the reception, and Maddie would be too if her stupid exhaustion hadn't hit her again, so she celebrates with a smile, trying to keep herself awake until she gets into the jeep where she plans to lay down in the backseat and rest her eyes as she waits for the alpha to appear. One can only hope it doesn't have the strength to flip a jeep over.

She doesn't really get a chance to split from Scott and Stiles to sit in the jeep considering the moment they step outside, Derek is on their tail, walking forward with his arms crossed. He doesn't look too happy. Maddie wonders who spit in his cereal in the time they were gone.

"I'm going to kill all of you," he growls. Ah, clearly, it's them that spit in his cereal whilst they were gone. Maddie doesn't have the time to get confused at herself and try to understand whatever the hell just went through her mind as she raises her hands at him in confusion along with Stiles, wondering what it was that they had done. Scott seems to piss Derek off simply by being there. Maybe it's the naivety he has or the goody—good nature he insists on preserving. "What are you trying to do, attract the entire state to the school?"

"Sorry," Scott apologises, his giddy smile still present. "I didn't know it would be that loud."

"Yeah, it was loud." Stiles nods, chuckling merrily. "And it was awesome!"

Maddie shrugs, nodding her head as excitement bleeds into her words. "Honestly, it was pretty cool."

"Shut up," Derek orders, his ears perked.

Stiles scoffs, proceeding to retort, "Don't be such a sourwolf."

"Amateur, but good," Maddie says, lazily offering up her hand for a high five. Stiles accepts with a proud smile, the slap echoing through the empty parking lot. His smile drops quickly when Derek glares at the both of them.

"What'd you do with him?" Scott's question attracts the attention of the remaining three people in the parking lot and they look over to him.

"What?" Derek looks behind him, everyone's attention now on the car, seeing the back door open, no sign of Scott's boss inside. "I didn't do anything."

"Right, that's not suspicious," Maddie comments.

Derek huffs, looking over at her. "I didn't do anything to him."

"I wasn't talking about you," she responds exasperatedly. "I—"

Maddie doesn't get to finish, her words replaced with a scream as the creature they had summoned mere minutes ago impales its claws into Derek's back, lifting him up with ease as blood drools from his mouth. Stiles and Scott instinctively reach for Maddie, both grabbing one of her wrists as they run towards the school. She may hate being dragged around like a rag doll, especially in the mental state she's in at the moment and with her body in freeze rather than the more useful options of fight or flight——not that she would even dare to attempt to fight the alpha——if it helps her survive at the moment, that's all she cares for.