[16] the beating

┌───── ∘₊✧₊∘ ─────┐

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
the beating

└───── ∘₊✧₊∘ ─────┘

( heart monitor; pt.iii )

WALKING past the jeep as Stiles keeps his hands on Maddie's shoulders to make sure that she doesn't run off——she won't, and he knows that, but if he gets to keep her close to him, he's going to take the chance——Maddie begins to wonder where the hell they're going and, more importantly, what this plan he has actually is. Scott follows beside them, taking glances over to Stiles in the hopes that he'll reveal the plan but his lips are sewn shut with a failing attempt to hide a satisfied smile. The voices of escaping students chatting about what they're going to do for the rest of the remaining daylight hours or complaining about the load of homework they've been given dwindle as they get further away from the main area of the parking lot.

Maddie tilts her head back as she moves it to the side so that she can see Stiles, clearing her throat to get his attention. He looks down at her and she offers a quick smile out of habit. "What exactly are we doing?"

"You'll see," he replies vaguely, giving a wink which gives Maddie the lingering feeling that she doesn't want to see.

Then they turn a corner, and the pieces should have come together, but they really didn't. A shiny, blue pick—up truck lays parked in a vacant spot, no other cars in sight and then her eyes wander over to the group of teenagers leaning against the wall of the school. She assumes they're seniors, they have the stocky build and aura of cockiness that she doesn't really see often unless she walks past Jackson Whittemore, but she's also never really seen them before. They're locked in conversation and if they've noticed the three sophomores, they haven't made it obvious——probably not seeing them as a threat, little did they know there's a wolf hiding in one of them.

Stiles stops, his hands pulling Maddie to a stop before Scott takes a couple steps back to be in line with his friends. They both turn to face him, Maddie beginning to miss the warmth Stiles' hands provided on her shoulders. "Hold on," he instructs, thinking for a second before he grabs Scott's shoulders and places him in an ideal position. "Okay, stand right there. Do you have your keys?"

Scott nods, reaching into his pocket and fishing for his key chain before holding it in the palm of his hand. Stiles beams. "Perfect. Hold 'em up like so," he says, beginning to fix Scott's hand so he's holding up a single key between his fingers, the others resting securely in his palm. "Now, whatever happens, just think about Allison. Try to find her voice like you did at the game. Got it?"

Even though he still has no idea what's going on——sparing a confused glance to the key in his hand——Scott nods in agreement. He's beginning to think that this plan isn't going to be pain free either.

Maddie glances between the two of them with furrowed brows, mouth slightly parted in preparation to question how this is supposed to help. She's feeling a little stupid that she can't figure out what Stiles has planned, considering there aren't many clues to sort out from. With a quick look in her direction——the way that her nose scrunches slightly in her confusion staying a little too long in his mind——he instructs her to go stand by the tree with a vague point.