[22] the revelations

┌─────── ∘₊✧₊∘ ───────┐

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎
the revelations

└─────── ∘₊✧₊∘ ───────┘

( lunatic; pt.i )

CAREFUL to avoid the second step on the staircase, Maddie tiptoes downstairs, her converse in her hand as she uses her other hand to balance herself. It's still in a splint and will be for at least the next week. On Friday she has a doctor's appointment to see how well her sprain has healed and if she can take off the brace or if she needs to keep it on for longer.

The good thing about it all is that she doesn't have to write——well, she didn't get away with it that easily, she just has to use a laptop instead, but she knows she's going to get so annoyed by it because she can only type with one hand. Out of either of the hands she has, why did she have to land badly on her right one? Life just seems to have it out for her.

Now, you may be wondering, why is Maddie trying to sneak her way downstairs? Well, the answer's obvious. After a lengthy discussion about instating a curfew, Maddie is no longer allowed out past seven unless she has permission from an adult family member or the next day isn't a school day——except she still needs permission on those days too. Mark wasn't exactly too pleased when he found out that Maddie had snuck out on Wednesday to then break into the school where they then encountered a serial killer and then chased for several hours.

But clearly that isn't stopping her. Scott's been in a slump for the past few days, what with Allison breaking up with him and all after she decided to stick up for herself and set some boundaries in their relationship. Lies were apparently a dealbreaker. And it's not like Scott can tell the truth about werewolves and alphas, especially when her father is hunting his kind.

Anyway, she digresses. Stiles had taken initiative about half an hour ago to cheer Scott up——whatever his plan is, Maddie just doesn't want to go into the school again at night——and is now waiting for her at Scott's house which thankfully is only a street away.

"No, mom, I swear—" Her cousin's voice stops her once she reaches the bottom of the stairs and she peaks over the railing to see him sitting on the sofa beside her aunt. The faint light from the lamp beside them illuminates their reflection in the window. He has tears in his eyes. "I swear I wasn't hallucinating. I didn't make up a monster, I— I didn't."

Maddie watches Lillian frown at her son, placing her hands over his free one. "Honey, I know it's difficult to understand but you were in shock, you—"

"I wasn't in shock!" Harry rips his hand out of his mother's, standing up in protest. He looks at his mom in pain, the betrayal etched on his face clear as day. His face scrunches up as he backtracks. "Okay, I was in shock, but I didn't imagine a monster taking a bite out of my shoulder, okay? Can you at least believe that?"

Maddie can't stand listening to the conversation anymore; she can't stand listening to the hurt in his voice. She was hoping that she could keep the supernatural a secret from him until he graduated, got the hell out of Beacon Hills and was safe——actually, thinking about it, Beacon Hills probably isn't the only place where the supernatural lurks in the shadows. The guilt paws at her heart as she slips her converse on, stuffing her laces into the shoe since having a splint makes doing laces a hundred times more difficult before she leaves through the back door in the kitchen.