[34] the hunt

┌─────── ∘₊✧₊∘ ───────┐

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑
the hunt

└─────── ∘₊✧₊∘ ───────┘

( omega; pt.iii )

MADDIE breathes out a bored puff of air from her lips, resting her head against the metal of the locker. She repeats the process of pressing down on the bottom of the clicky pen, watching as the nib retracts into the pen. For the hour of detention Stiles was supposed to get, Maddie had managed to get some work done. She'd managed to get around halfway through her English notes that her class were supposed to do over the weekend, which thankfully her teacher gave her some overtime because he's actually understanding, unlike some teachers.

Oh, and that brings up why she's been sitting on the floor outside Mr. Harris' classroom for an extra twenty—five minutes.

How he's allowed to get away with so much is really a mystery to Maddie but there isn't much she can do aside from tolerate it. What is she tolerating, you ask? The fact that he's keeping Stiles in for another half hour of detention. Thankfully the funeral doesn't start till quarter to five so they should still have time to get to the cemetery to help Scott with moral support.

The time seems to be going excruciatingly slow and Maddie is just about to stand up and walk a few laps around the hallway purely out of boredom when her phone starts to ring. Grabbing it off from its resting place on her bag, Maddie looks at the caller ID, sighing before she answers the call.

"Why aren't you home yet?" her mom's voice is stern, but Maddie can hear the worry in it. The girl furrows her brows at the question, not even able to answer before Sarah keeps talking. "You know I trust Stiles with your life but if you two made a pitstop somewhere I will reprimand the both of you. You could have at least sent me a message—"

"I did, mom," Maddie interrupts. "I sent a message."

"No, you didn't, sweetheart." is Sarah's response, making Maddie push herself back against the lockers, sitting up.

She lets out a tired sigh, instructing, "Wait a sec." as she takes the phone from her ear, quickly heading over to her texts with her mom. Maddie huffs upon seeing the red exclamation mark beside her text and goes back on her call, placing the phone back to her ear, careful to avoid to small crack in the screen. "It didn't deliver."

With this piece of information, Sarah knows she can't be mad. Her daughter had tried to alert her to her lack of presence in the home. She lets out a long, slow breath and Maddie can picture her somewhere in the kitchen, her hand over her mouth as she tries to process the fact that her daughter isn't in her sights. "Just come home in one piece, okay?"

Maddie nods. "Yeah, I'll make sure not to pass out in another lacrosse field."

"Madelyn."

The girl lets out a childish whine at the use of her first name, squirming slightly. She would have been much more bothered by the disapproving tone if it hadn't been for that. Placing her fist against the side of her head as she rests her arm over her knee, Maddie's tone changes entirely. "I love you."

It's randomly placed in the conversation, but she just felt the need to say it. Not for her mom, for herself.

Her mom repeats the words, and Maddie ends the call after they've said their goodbyes. She places her phone in her back pocket, packing away her things inside her bag before standing up and taking a deep breath for confidence before she knocks on Mr Harris' door.