01 | summer of '96

"Marlee! Seraphina's here!"

Cho rushed over to the window to retrieve the post from her owl. She pushed open the glass and rested her hands on the cool stone, making sure not to accidentally dip her fingers in the flower pots Nora had placed there.

Marlee was sitting in her room, sorting through all of her clothes. She'd been cleaning out her closet all summer for a deal she made with her father. Get rid of clothes to get new ones.

But she quickly regretted making that deal after her room became one big mess. There were clothes everywhere and they seemed to be popping out of thin air. She had no idea she owned this much clothing.

She pushed herself up to her feet, hopping over the many mounds of pants and t-shirt's, as she ran to join Cho in the living room. Cho was flipping through a couple other letters that Seraphina had brought and she handed her sister the deep green envelope. He always charmed them to be a different shade of green. Marlee tried her best to hide her excitement as she snatched the letter and skipped back to her room.

She quickly shut her bedroom door behind her and held the letter to her chest before jumping onto her bed and ripping it open. Her heart was racing. It'd been a whole month of summer and she really missed that kid. Her dad was letting her go down to the Burrow for a week but that couldn't come fast enough.

Marlin,
     That's too bad about Nora and your father's honeymoon. I was hoping I'd be able to come and sleepover...maybe. But no need, only one more week until I get to see your ugly face. I'm only kidding, I love your face. I think about it a lot. In fact, I have that picture of you from our first date sitting on my nightstand so I can look at it whenever I'm sad. And I know that the one you took of me is sitting on your nightstand too so don't be making fun of me now.

Marlee couldn't stop the stupid smile that was forming on her face because he was right. She glanced up at her nightstand to watch the picture of him with the Pumpkin Pasty on his face. She stared at it almost every night, just wishing that she could talk to him.

—I can't wait to see you again. I have lots of exciting things planned and Ginny convinced me to let her have some time with you as well so you'll have that to look forward to. Also, Angelina and Fred are letting us pick the restaurant so we can decide when you get here. I love you so so much.
                                                              Yours,
                                                              Georgia

She held the letter to her chest again and flipped to her back, sighing dreamily. Love really did make you crazy. Marlee stared at her ceiling for a couple more seconds but her smile immediately faded when she saw her messy room again. She groaned loudly and fell back onto her mattress.

"Get another letter from your boyfriend?" Cho opened the door and leaned against the door frame with her arms crossed.

"Maybe...how about you? Who were your letters from?" she asked, neatly folding George's letter back into the envelope.

Cho pressed her lips to a thin line and sat down in Marlee's desk chair. "Well...one was from Michael, just asking about how I was doing and stuff," Marlee raised an eyebrow at her sister, "and the other one was from Mr. Diggory asking if I wanted some of Cedric's things." Cho spoke quietly and picked at the skin of her fingers.

"Are you going to go then?" Marlee prompted.

Cho sighed and rolled her head back. "I don't know. I don't want to cause him any trouble—"

"He literally invited you to come over, Cho. I think you should go, it'll be good for you to get out. Michael lives over in Devon too, doesn't he? You could ask if he wants to meet up."