03 | games and surprises

The next morning, Marlee woke up before George, nightmare-less, and went to Ginny's room before anyone else was awake to catch them. Part of her felt bad for leaving George but she also wasn't sure if she'd be able to face him after last night. She had no idea what got into her. Had she just taken her frustration and anxiety out on him?

Hermione and Ginny were both still asleep when she snuck in. She silently slipped into the spot on the floor next to Hermione and fell back asleep.

The next time she woke up, Ron's head was peeking through the door as he and Hermione had a quiet conversation. Ginny was not in bed and Marlee could hear Molly making breakfast downstairs.

"Good morning Marlee," Hermione greeted. "How come you came back?"

Marlee sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Huh? Oh...uh, stuff." Her brain couldn't seem to process anything and she couldn't get out the explanation of what happened last night. She noticed that Ron was no longer standing there and she decided to ask, "What were you and Ron talking about?"

Hermione bit her lip and turned away. "Oh you know...just casual talk as people do," she said. "He's a bit annoying, actually."

Marlee raised an eyebrow. "Really? Annoying? Hmm your red cheeks say otherwise," she smirked and stood up to go to the bathroom before Hermione could retort.

She got ready and dressed then headed downstairs. The table was almost fully set and George, who was setting out utensils, paused when he saw Marlee. He looked her up and down once then gave her a light smile and went back to putting the spoons and forks down without saying anything. Marlee didn't have time to question him because then Molly clapped her hands, urging everyone to sit down. Marlee sat down next to George and he rested his arm on the back of her chair.

"Morning Weasleys!" Arthur chimed as he came into the room and sat down next to Molly. Everyone muttered their own greeting back and Arthur grinned as he looked around.

"Your mother and I have come to a conclusion and after lots of talking, we're letting you go back to Hogwarts," he announced, his grin not leaving his face. He seemed awfully chipper this morning, but then again he was always chipper, wasnt he?

Fred and George high fived each other from across the table while Ginny and Ron murmured a celebration.

"But if I hear one thing—one thing! You will all be packing your bags and coming home, immediately!" Molly inserted. "Now eat."

Everyone ate their breakfasts now without having to worry about their parents' decision and Arthur talked about his work, asking Hermione about Muggle things while everyone else listened.

Once they finished, Arthur headed off to work and the kids went upstairs after they helped Molly clean breakfast. George hadn't really said anything to Marlee yet and she was curious to know why. But when he and Fred went into their room, shutting the door afterwards, she decided it might be best to give him some space after last night. She went into Ginny's room with Hermione and there were all of these tools and materials sitting out.

"What's all of this?" Marlee asked.

"Dean showed me how to make these really cool bracelets and I thought we could make some. He lent me some of his sister's old stuff, said she doesn't use them anymore," she explained.

"And when did you see Dean?" Marlee queried, getting suspicious. Nobody had mentioned Dean yet and it would have been odd for Ginny to visit him when he was Ron's friend. But she also didn't know if Dean had come over at some point during the summer.

Ginny paused and her face went blank. "Uhhh, I dunno a couple weeks ago," she stammered.

Marlee looked to Hermione to see if she knew anything but Hermione looked just at clueless as she did. "So there's nothing going on between the two of you?" she asked and Ginny shook her head no.