Chapter 3. Friend or Foe

"Don't be shy, click the vote button"

Music given above recommended with earphones....

Fire, bloodshed, tears, cries of pain. The war has begun and doesn't seem to end. Thousand of big creatures on the other side of the kingdom pursued in through force. They were breathing fire through their long snouts. They were winged and scaly. Magnificent yet horrifying.

On the other side of the battle stood creatures, much smaller, with their wings held. Fighting for honor, for their family and for their kingdom.

There was no battle cry.

The scaly creatures charged first. Followed by the winged beings.

Small at sight but far stronger than anything they've seen, the winged creatures were having an upper hand due to their clever fighting tatics and their incredible flying ablitites.

Hundreds of the winged beings, mostly women, casted their powers at the creatures. The power deflected when hit on their rough back but most when hit on the soft underbelly, rolled over and died.

The fire from the beast when aimed at the armed winged beings would cause them to get burned and roasted.

But the war though seemed to be finishing early took longer than anyone had expected.

At the far end of a big white castle, on top of a balcony, a man with a crown beckoned his wife to fly away. Suddenly the biggest winged creature of them all jumped at them. As the creature almost reached the balcony it transformed into a man. The man pulled out the sword from his sheath and slashed the neck of the king.

The woman's cries of horror and anguish rung the whole murder ground like bells of sorrow and when the winged being looked at the commotion, they fell down and cried in defeat while the winged scaly creatures erupted in wild roars of victory, all the while all of them started to turn back to men.

The man who killed the king of the winged being slowly approached the woman and held his sword high to assassinate her. She backed away but when cornered she threw a blinding white light at him.

Blood splattered from the man's face. And taking that chance she lifted up her wings, larger than any other, and flew. The woman's stomach was very round. Anyone could realise at first glance that this woman would be giving birth at any moment.

The transformed men suddenly turned back to these winged creatures to stop her. They spat fire at her, tried to claw her using their an two inches long talons. Many flew above to attack her. But being very skilled, she evaded them all. And flew away into the thick fog.

Aerona burst opened her eyes when the ground aganist her suddenly jumped

She saw the sky and the ground she lay moving. She realised she wasn't laying on the ground as she felt it and understood that it was something made of wood.

She jumped up suddenly and looked around. She was in a carriage. But luckily not tied down.

She peered towards the driver who gave her sudden stirring no mind. She was only able to see his back of the head, his long silky black hair flowing down his back and he was sitting in a very posh posture.

But her stare darted away from him when she saw the horses that pulled the carriage.

Big white horses with silky smooth shimmering white hair. Their neighs were very whimsical to the ears.

Aerona decided to just jump off the carriage but decided against it as this might break her wings or arms.

Just as if the driver read her mind he said 'Don't even think about jumping off. The back of the carriage is protected against from thieves and bumpy packages that rufuses to sit still. So if you jump off- well why don't you try and waste my precious time'.

Aerona was shocked at how rude this driver was but couldn't get angry when she heard the tune. Just as whimsical but a little hoarse. Sounded manly and smooth.

Her eyes went wide when she saw pair of something peeking out from both sides of his head. It was long and pointed at the edge, seemed to be made of flesh and these curvy rings on the pinna structure.

'Are those your ears?!' she exclaimed.

'Got a problem with my ears?' he asked.

She stared at those ears for minute and realised that they were in a light blue tinge.

She suddenly jumped to look at the driver. He suddenly pulled the reins as he wasn't expecting this and faced directly at her.

The back of Aerona's neck tingled when she felt his eyes on her dark ones. His eyes were pure white and piercing and his eyelids slightly drooping. His skin was indeed in a blue tinge but the dark hair emphasized the beauty of it. He had a jawline that could kill someone. And thin lips that curled in anger.

'Are you trying to get us killed' he asked. The words he said were like music to her ears but she snapped off immediately when she realised they were riding down a cliff.

'I apologize. I didn't realise' she said resuming back to her seat.

The back of her neck still tingling and now the feathers of her wings standing up. She couldn't pull his eyes from her mind.

'Are you an elf!!' she exclaimed when she suddenly thought of it. But he kept his silence altogether ignoring her.

But she wasn't giving up easily.

'You! Who are you? Where you taking me?' she spat. But after a long pause he said 'I'll tell you everything after we find a place to stay for the night'.

'Stay for a night?! Take me back to my fami-' she said when her memories flooded back in like a thousand boulders raining down on her. She stared at his back. Her mind void. Pain taking over.

The elf turned slightly. 'I'll talk about it when we reach an inn alright..?' he said with a sigh.

She nodded, forgetting he won't be able to see her do that.

She looked outside the carriage. The dusty road winding way down the cliff. Mesmerising to watch if her heart did not weighed so heavy with guilt. She felt she was the sole reason for this.

The men of the village must have seen her running off. They must have burnt the half of the whole village because they didn't know who had taken in a being like her.

She wiped the silent tears that rolled down her cheeks.

The silence of the her companion was somewhat a relief to her as she did not want to talk but bury her sorrows in silence.

She pulled her wings and hugged herself, shushing herself from crying out. The clip clop noices of the horses foot was like a distorted lullaby which helped her fall asleep once again. But her mind still piercing the memory to her heart.

 But her mind still piercing the memory to her heart