25. Double Crowns?

"Energy Dance in Waterford, Michigan. Again you were second. Any other teacher would probably think an overall higher score second place is wonderful," Abby didn't have to shake her head to let Nova know she disagreed; it's clear as day by the frown on her face.

I like the routine, Nova pouts. They didn't get to show off their ballet technique much, and this routine let them.

"And now the pyramid. On the bottom of the pyramid is Paige and Brooke," Abby reveals. "Once again, you're still on prohibition. You never came to me and said, 'Hey can I do my solo?' Brooke, you should wanna do that acrobatic routine. It was beautiful. Next... Nia. Nia, you did a great job on your solo; you made the top ten, but pay attention to the technique. Apply your correction. You don't always do that."

Rubbing Nia on the arm, Nova gives her an encouraging smile. Yes, Nia's technique wasn't as great as hers, but she's improved so much since last year.

"Next we have... Chloe. Chloe, great job in the duet. Came out, your back leg was up on the arabesque, you fixed your problem," Abby compliments. "You had a good weekend. Next on the pyramid... Maddie. Maddie, you had an outstanding solo. You did a beautiful job on the duet.

"Next is Nova. You were part of the winning duet, and you were great in it. But you don't have as much attack as Lux does. You're a gentle dancer, and that's great, but when I want to attack, you need to attack."

Nova nods, but she doesn't know how to fix that. I don't know if I wanna fix that. I win 'cause I'm gentle, not because I 'attack.'

"Next, I have Lux, also part of the winning duet. In the duet, I felt more power from you, and it was great. As for the group. You were the lead, and I don't regret it. The problem was that almost everyone else had trouble keeping up with you."

Nova smiles. Lux doesn't complain often, but she didn't need to because they're twins, and Nova can read her mind. So Nova knew she was worried that Abby would blame her for the group losing since she was the lead.

"On top of the pyramid, this week is Mackenzie; she won the overall high score and was crowned Petite Miss Energy Dance. Let's give her a round of applause."

Nova claps for the beaming Mackenzie.

"This week, we will be attending Starpower in Woodbridge, Virginia," Abby announces. "This is the largest dance competition in the United States. It's the twenty-fifth anniversary of Starpower, so this is their biggest competition in the country. It has the most acts and a lot of pressure."

"Ohhhh," Nova whispers. It was a lot of pressure to compete and win at Starpower, but it was also a lot of fun.

"I'm excited about the group dance. I've been preparing it for weeks. Mackenzie, you proved that you're not a little baby. You must be advanced enough to be in the group dance. I'm not watering down the choreography. You will be expected to do what everyone else does.

"Maddie, you will be doing a routine called 'Looking for a Place Like Home.' It's a little spin on 'There's no place like home,' a modern-day version. Chloe, you will also be doing a solo. Your solo is entitled 'What Goes Around Comes Around.' Lux, you will be doing a solo entitled, 'Don't Give Up On Us' and Nova, you have a solo called "Heartbreak." Brooke carefully raises her hand. "Yes, Brooke?"

Brooke hesitates before asking, "This weekend is my first formal school dance, and I was wondering if I would be able to go to it?"

Nova didn't think Abby was going to say yes, so she was surprised when Abby says, "I think if I was in your position, I would be making a different decision. However, if you have decided that this is something that you wanna do, far be me to keep you from it."