32. Out with the Old, In with the New

Taking off her pointe shoes, Lux frowns at the broken nail on her big feet. Carelessly she pulls it the rest of the way off and tosses it.

"Is your Mom still at the bakery?" Kendall asks.

Lux glances at the clock to see that it's about four-fifteen in the afternoon. "She's probably on the road by now. Pyramid starts in, like, 15 minutes."

Kendall pouts. "Okay."

"You just wanted her coconut macaroons," Nova crows.

"It's the only thing my Mom will let me eat."

Lux giggles when Mackenzie pats Kendall on the back. It's strange, but Jill is really strict on Kendall's diet.

"Where are the moms?" Maddie looks around the room.

Lux shrugs. "I don't know."

"What did you guys think of last week?" Chloe asks.

"I think we did great, and Ally isn't Paige, but she's a good dancer," Maddie says.

"But she's not Paige," Chloe frowns. "I just miss Paige."

"We all do," Kendall comments, tracing the floor.

"Girls," Holly says, leading the moms into the den. "Get your things, we're going to go in the car."

"Why?" Maddie asks.

"We have a plan to get Paige and Brooke back, but we need everyone involved," Christi explains. "Come on, girls."

Sharing a frown with Nova, Lux hesitates before grabbing her bag. "What are we going to do?"

"We're just going to sit in the car," Holly assures. "Nothing's going to happen to you guys."

Tightly holding Nova's hand Lux allows the moms to guide her outside and into Christi's car.

"Abby's going to be mad at us," Maddie worries from the back seat.

"Yeah, she is," Nova says. "She's going to yell at us."

"No, she's not," Jill says, standing outside with the rest of the moms. "You guys are going to stay there, and we'll talk to Abby. She'll yell at us."

"About us," Nova says, crossing her arms.

"Nothing's going to happen to you guys," Holly repeats.

Lux wasn't so sure about that. There were so many great dancers at the audition last week, and if Abby wants, she can replace them all.

"What is everyone doing outside?"

Hearing her Mama's voice, Lux sticks her head out of the window with a grin. "Hola, Mamá!" If anyone could convince the moms they're wrong, it would be her.

"We're hosting a stakeout," Christi explains. "We're pressuring Abby to bring Kelly back on the team."

"Does Kelly know you're doing this?" Mamá asks.

"No, but hopefully, when she sees the effort, we went to bring her girls back on the team. She'd come back," Jill says hopefully.

But you can't force people to do what you want, Lux thinks. They're always telling us that, so why aren't they listening to their own advice?

There's silence outside until Mamá breaks it with a snort. "Really? Do you guys really think this will work? One, you're gonna guilt Kelly into joining the team again-- that's horrible. Just respect her wishes, and if and when she wants to come back, come up with a plan then.

"Do you actually think you can force Abby's hand by leaving? Especially you, Christi? You think she cares? Abby could've made a whole new team last week. Do you really think she can't pick up the phone and call them? No. I want no part of this. Lux, Nova. Fuera del coche."