31. The Beginning of the End

It seems I've gotten a couple of new readers for my Dance Mom fics, and so I've received questions on when I'll update my next. I usually update every other month For instance, the last time I updated any of my Dance Mom books was in February. I'm now updating again in April. The next time I'll update is in June. And most books get two chapters an update month, so look forward to them.

I'm also updating today instead of Saturday because I'm going to be busy this easter weekend.
________________________________________________________________________________

Nova changes into her dancewear while glancing at the door every few seconds.

"Someone's excited," Mamá teases her, looking up from her phone.

"We haven't seen anyone in a while," Nova jumps up and down in glee. "I'm so excited to see everybody."

"I don't think everybody is going to be here," Lux murmurs. "Kelly basically said she quit, and that means no Brooke and Paige."

"Right," Nova stops bouncing. "It's going to be different without them."

Putting her phone down, Mamá settles them with a look. "And why aren't you as upset as I thought you would be about this. ¿Qué pasa?"

Nova shares a look with Lux before the two of them turn to their Mamá. "Well... we talked about it— just the two of us, nobody else. Wouldn't it be better if they weren't here?"

"Yeah. Abby's always yelling at Brooke and Paige. And last season, she threw a chair. It's just better for them not to be here," Lux adds.

And Paige won't be crying anymore, Nova thinks, woefully. It's sucked because she's known Paige for nine years, but she doesn't want to keep seeing her friends cry. "Just don't tell the other girls because they really want them back."

"Especially Chloe. You know her and Paige are inseparable."

"I won't, I promise," Mamá holds her finger up. Smiling, Nova links fingers with her before Lux joins. "Besides, I'm very proud that you're thinking of your friend's wellbeing and not your interest. Mis bebés ya crecieron."

Raising her chin, a scarlet flush dusts her cheeks.

Then loud chatter is heard.

"They're here~" Lux sings, just as the door opens.

Screams, hugs, hellos her exchange before everyone settles down.

"Did everyone get braces except for Lux and Nova?" Mamá observes.

As one, all the girls seem to smile, glancing at each other's teeth.

"As expected of children of a dentist," Holly jokes.

Nova runs her tongue over her teeth. "I want braces now."

"No, you don't," Chloe promises her. "They're horrible."

"So was Abby here when you guys arrived?" Jill asks.

Mamá shakes her head. "No, she wasn't. Should we just go in because it's past time for us to start?"

Christi shrugs, standing. "Better than sitting out here like jackasses."

With Christi at the hem the team enters the studio. Still no sign of Abby.

"What are we going to do?" Nia asks.

"Do you guys wanna go over the routines?" Nova suggests. Over the break, Abby had classes for them to learn a couple of solos and group routines before the season started.