27. Break A Leg

"Come on, girls! Let's go!" Abby screams. Nova skips into the room right behind Lux. "Welcome back, Lux and Nova; we missed you last week."

"We missed you too," Nova and Lux reply. Nova meant it too; it was nice to have a short vacation and just spend time with her family, but she was ready to get back to the dance.

Abby smiles at them before looking around the room. "Where are Paige and Kelly?"

"They're at the doctor's," Brooke replies.

Abby's mouth drops slightly. "Today?"

"I think it's more serious than just a toe," Christi informs her with a grimace.

"She said it's really swollen," Melissa chimes in.

Nova chews on the inside of her mouth. Just before she entered the studio, the girls told her that Paige broke her leg at the past competition. I hope she's okay.

"Oh my goodness," Abby shakes her head. "I told her not to fool around. Kids, do you understand that your body is your instrument, and it's your job to take care of it. And I said, 'Girls, don't fool around. There's cement underneath this carpeting.' I remember vividly saying that."

"Where's Jill?" Christi asks.

Nova blinks. Jill? Why is she talking about Jill?

"...Jill...?" Her Mamá'chocked out, disbelief wracking her voice. "What did we miss?"

"A lot," Abby replies. "The moms will explain it to you. Now, Christi, Jill is not an official member of this competition team. She would like to think so, but I might forgive people, but I don't forget."

Clapping her hands together, Abby moves on. "So congratulations are in order. We had an amazing trip to Lancaster, and while I was worried about not having Lux and Nova, you succeed without them. I entered three solos in the competition, and I had three girls in the top ten."

Nova claps, sincerely happy that the girls did well without them. I would never want Abby to say they can't win with me or Lux 'cause that's not true.

"This week, we are going to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania," Abby announces. "At the bottom, clearly, is Lux and Nova. I would love to put you higher, but you weren't here. Next, we have Paige; Paige has an outstanding performance. She was sixth overall high score. And then, accidents happen-- she might be out a week, or maybe she'll be able to dance today.

"Moving on. Mackenzie. Mackenzie, if you're in a competition, you're there to learn. And next, I have Chloe. Chloe, you did a great job. You didn't have any solo or a duet, so it's a little difficult to judge. But you did a great job in the group dance.

"And next, Brooke. Brooke, because of your maturity during rehearsal all week, is why you're up there. And second, on the pyramid, is Nia. Nia, you went out there, and you sold that number. And at the top of the pyramid is Maddie. Maddie, you're there because you beat everybody else there. You were the highest score the judges gave out."

Again Nova claps; Just because Maddie is on top of the pyramid a lot doesn't mean she doesn't deserve it.

"Alright, now we're all in the group dance except Mackenzie," Abby announces. "Mackenzie, you have a solo. Maddie, you'll also be doing a solo. Brooke, you have a solo this week. You will be doing the Diary of Anne Frank. Lux and Nova, welcome back; you have a duet."

Grinning, Nova holds out her hand for a high-five that Lux happily reciprocates.

"Chloe, you have asked me for years about a duet with you and Paige," at Abby's word, Chloe gasps. "This is the week. Moms, I'm gonna dismiss you; go ahead and go. You guys get the ballet barre out; we're gonna start with the barre."