4. Stealing the Show

"Quiet class! The bell is going to ring in a few moments, but before that, I want to pass you back your text from last week."

Lux swallows as Mrs. Woodward goes around, passing back their test. She knew that she got most of the vocabulary part and the critical part right, but that was only 30 percent of the test.

"Why are you nervous?" her friends Philip asks.

"I didn't read the book," she admits.

Philips's eyes widened. "What? Really? You?"

Lux buries her face in her shoulder. "I know. I was busy with dance."

"You have no life anymore."

"I know," she moans, picking her head back up.

When Mrs.Woodward reaches her desk, she silently hands her the test before going on her way. On top of her test was an orange 'C-,' and right under it was 'See me after class.'

Lux wasn't surprised at seeing that she didn't read chapters seven to 12 of 'Matilda' last week like she was supposed to. She turns behind her and stares at Nova's 'B+.' "How!?"

"I read it on the bus," Nova tells her, sending her an apologetic look. "Sorry."

Lux shakes her head. "It's not your fault I get sick when I read on the bus."

Instead of following her friends out, she walks up to the teacher's desk when the bell rings. "Mrs.Woodard? You wanted to see me."

"I'm very disappointed in you, Lux," Mrs. Woodard tells her, causing her to wince. "You're an 'A,' 'B,' student. You got a C- that was nearly a D. You knew I would ask questions about the book. And the fact that all the questions you got wrong were about the book let me know you did not read it. Now I've let you get away with sleeping in class and handing in your homework late, but no more."

Lux toes the ground, feeling her eyes water. "Sorry."

Mrs.Woodard sighs. "I will let you take it on Wednesday."

Lux stares hopefully. "Really?"

"Really. Here is the catch. It will be all on the book, and you must have your mother sign the test."

Lux's mouth drops. "It's not a 'D!'"

"No, it's not, but it's the rule if you want to retake your test. Do we have a deal?"

Lux chews on the bottom of her lips before nodding. "Yes. Thank you, Mrs.Woodard."

Coming out of her classroom, she wasn't surprised to see Nova waiting for her. "You okay? What did she say?"

"She said she'll let me retake it on Friday," Lux smiles.

"Yay!"

"But, Mamá has to sign it."

"Why! You didn't get a 'D.' You only have to have your test signed by your parents if you get a 'D' or lower."

"Yeah, but it's also the rule if you wanna retake your test."

"I didn't know that."

"Neither did i. But we never need to retake a test."

Nova wraps her arms around her shoulder. "Well, I'm gonna help you study. I got a B+."

"Thanks," Lux smiles.

"Let's talk about Starbound competition. Can we have a round of applause? Whoo-hoo!" Abby cheers. Lux follows along with the rest of the team as they clap. "So Brooke blew them away. The people behind me were in awe when you did that handstand twist. But why all the drama with the hip? If you are seriously injured, you don't need to go to your mother and get everybody all worked up. You come to me, and that needs to be clear. Yes?"