Eight

"Cruz! Cruz!" someone shouted, pulling the pieces of ceiling off Mallie's body. "Mallie!" they shouted, shaking her once they got to her uniform.

Mallie groaned weakly, blinking slowly as she tried to break through the dizziness in her head. Maya's face loomed into view and she managed a weak smile.

"Gibson?" she said.

"We got him. We're just waiting on you," Maya said. Mallie nodded, slowly letting Maya help her up. She groaned as her stomach tensed, the impact of the ceiling falling on her having exhausted her body.

"Oh, god," Mallie breathed.

"What?" Andy looked up from where she was keeping her hand on Jack's pulse. He had a cut on his head and was awake, blinking through the dust at them.

"I think she's just in pain," Maya said. Mallie scanned herself quickly. She could feel blood on her face so she figured that she had a cut somewhere there, but she didn't know specifically where. She could feel smaller cuts on her chest where her jacket had opened and the ceiling had landed on her, but it wasn't too unbearable to move with.

"I can do it. You grab Jack, I'll grab the bannister going down," Mallie rasped.

"You sure?" Andy said.

"Yeah," Mallie nodded. Maya wrapped her arm around Mallie's waist, helping her to the stairway door before going back to help Andy with Jack.

The four of them made their way down slowly, stepping out to an almost completely evacuated scene. Only a few engines remained, three aid cars to take them to the hospital if they needed it.

Mallie slowly walked over to one, sitting on the step as one of the remaining firefighters handed her an oxygen mask, another starting to take her jacket off for her.

"You alright?" one said.

"Yeah," Mallie nodded, pushing her sweaty hair out of her filthy face.

"You in pain?" he said. She nodded.

"I don't need a hospital. I think I'm alright," she said.

"Let me check you," Maya said.

"No, I'm fine. I promise," Mallie said. Truth was, she wasn't feeling completely brilliant but the only person she wanted to help her clean her cuts was Amelia. She had survived through the skyscraper almost killing her so she could survive however long it took for her to get back to Amelia.

"Keep going on the oxygen," Andy said, helping Jack sit down beside her. Maya put a mask over his face and Mallie pulled her mask away to take a drink of the water Andy was offering her.

"Tough call," Jack panted.

"We should follow to Grey Sloan when you two are alright," Mallie said, wincing as she coughed up some phlegm. She spat it onto the floor, putting the mask back on when she saw it was black from the smoke inhalation.

"Do we know about anyone else?" Jack asked.

"We know we got Miller out but that's it," Mallie said.

"I told Hughes to evacuate, I think Warren and Montgomery got out, too," Maya said.

"And that leaves us," Jack said.

"Was anyone hurt?" Mallie said.

"Guess we'll find out when we get to Grey Sloan," Andy said.

"I was over at the truck and your phone was going off non stop," Maya called, throwing Andy her phone. Andy stepped away, putting it to her ear and starting to talk quietly.