forty six

"Hey, so, I've been thinking, now we're potentially getting Pru for good, I need to change my will and shit. I've already taken on the trust fund Dean left for college and I've finished that off like the twins', so they're all good to go to college now, if they wanted, but, like, I need to make sure they all stay with you if anything happens. Even if I quit," Mallie told Amelia a few days later.

Amelia looked up from the laundry she was folding and nodded.

"That sounds smart. I'll update mine, too. April Kepner is still my POA, which I should probably change to someone closer to home," Amelia said.

"Mer is mine. Do you become my POA now we're married? Is that how it works?" Mallie asked.

"I think you still get to pick, but you can pick me if you want. I would pick you or Mer to be mine," Amelia said.

"Well, would you be cool making that decision, if you ever had to?" Mallie said.

"If I had to," Amelia frowned. "I wouldn't want to, because, well, obviously me making decisions for you means you're in a bad condition yourself. But, yeah, I would do it, and I'd do whatever you wanted. You said you wouldn't want to be on life support, so just make sure you write down how far is too far and that's what I'll do," Amelia said. "Same for me, if you could do it for me."

"I'll make mine yours, and you can make yours me. Couple goals," Mallie snorted.

Amelia laughed and nodded.

"Definitely goals," she said. "You're gonna be late, by the way."

"Shit, thanks," Mallie mumbled, grabbing her things and kissing Amelia quickly. "Tell the kids I love them."

"I will," Amelia said.

"I love you, too!" Mallie said, hurrying towards the door.

"I love you, more!" Amelia laughed.

"So, you told me that Tabitha girl might be calling me to discuss you as a parent, and I've yet to receive a call. Did you take me off the list or are the Millers pulling some shit again?" Vic asked Mallie later that night as they rolled up the banner for the Dean Miller Memorial Clinic that had happened that day.

"I didn't take you off the list, and no. We might be settling outside of court," Mallie said.

"Dude, seriously?" Vic grinned.

"Yeah. They just want one thing from me and we've got Pru," Mallie said.

"Well, whatever it is, you gotta do it. It's for Pru," Vic said.

"I know, and I want to do it for Pru, but..." Mallie trailed off, rubbing her face. "I know. We've got it covered. I just have to sort some shit out before I can do it," Mallie said.

"Well, do you need help?" Vic asked.

"It's not something you can help me with, but thanks for offering," Mallie said.

"Well, what is it? Do they want you to sell your soul to the devil, or something?" Vic asked.

"They might as well have asked that, to be honest. That would've been an easier decision to make," Mallie said.

"Are you gonna tell me?" Vic asked.

"Not yet. I will, when I make a decision, but... It's just a decision Amelia and I have to make together before we announce anything. We get full custody, if we do this. And I want to do it, 'cause it's Pru, but it's... It's a big decision to make," Mallie said.

"Are you gonna give me a clue?" Vic said.

"Nope. Sorry," Mallie grinned at her. "Believe me, I'll tell you as soon as I have to. I don't want anyone upset or doing stupid shit before anything is permanent," Mallie said.