fifty two

Mallie stood in the doorway of the gym, watching Maya work out for what must've been the second consecutive hour. She knew Maya worked out when she was stressed and, honestly, she was at the highest level of stress possible.

"Maya," Mallie said.

Maya continued running on the treadmill. Mallie stepped further into the room.

"Maya," she said.

Maya didn't reply. Mallie's jaw clenched and she sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Do not make me use my mom voice," she said.

Maya stayed silent.

"Maya DeLuca Bishop, look at me!" Mallie said.

Maya's eyes drifted over to Mallie unwillingly, Maya snapping them away from Mallie quickly.

"You're going to overwork yourself. Get a shower, get some food and water, and we can go for a run after shift," Mallie said.

"I don't want to run with you after shift," Maya said.

"Well, we won't run, then. But the shower, food and water, non negotiable," Mallie said.

"I don't have to listen to you. I rank above you," Maya said.

"Yeah? For how long?" Mallie asked, raising her eyebrows.

Maya stepped off the treadmill, glaring at Mallie.

"Look, be pissed at me all you want. I am trying to put out the fires you're starting. Okay, you need help and you're refusing it, but until you agree, you're stuck with me. So, shower, food, water, before I drag you there myself," Mallie said.

Maya huffed, but moved to go and get a shower. Mallie watched her go into the bathroom before nodding, turning to head to the kitchen to make some breakfast for Maya.

She made some bacon, eggs and toast, making some coffee and juice and putting it at the table. She stood in the kitchen until Maya walked in, pointing at the plate.

"Eat," Mallie said.

"You can't tell me what to do," Maya said.

"I just did. Sit down, shut up, eat," Mallie said.

Maya shot Mallie a dirty look, but moved to sit down and eat. Mallie stayed in the kitchen, eating her own bacon while she made sure Maya was eating. When Maya had eaten half a plate, Mallie left the kitchen, frowning when she saw Carina and Ben in the conference room.

Ben was watching Carina aggressively count supplies, jotting down the numbers she snapped at him. Mallie leaned in the doorway.

"Why are we smacking the syringes around?" Mallie asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Carina said snappily.

"I'll take over with the clipboard, Warren," Mallie said, holding her hand out.

"Sure," Ben said, handing her the clipboard.

"There's some bacon in the kitchen," Mallie said.

"Bye," Ben grinned, darting from the room.

Mallie took his place at the table, raising an eyebrow at Carina.

"I've already pissed your wife off this morning. Please don't let me piss you off, too, and tell me what's going on," Mallie said.

"My wife is also pissing me off," Carina muttered.

"Yeah, I figured out that much," Mallie said. "I meant, like, rant to me. Please," Mallie said.