forty eight

"So, I'm meeting your fancy man, tonight," Mallie said, looking at Meredith in the hospital.

She'd taken a personal day to help prepare the Grey/Shepherd/Cruz/Pierce family and houses for Nick's welcome to Seattle meal. She had yet to meet the fancy man that had stole Meredith's attention, considering she was always working when he was around, but she'd decided to stop by and see Meredith and pick up the kids before heading home to be a good host.

"Why do you make it sound so dirty?" Meredith said.

"'Cause it is. I've yet to meet him, so, to me, he's your dirty little secret," Mallie said.

"He's met my kids. He's met your kids," Meredith said. "And your wife," she said.

"I haven't met him. Dirty little secret," Mallie stuck her tongue out.

"Just go home," Meredith laughed. "Please."

"I just came to check up on you," Mallie said, leaning against the nurses desk with a grin.

"Check up on me later. Go, get your kids, make me some good food," Meredith said.

"Okay, but, like, he is a dirty little secret if I haven't met him. And you know my opinion matters most, 'cause I've known you the longest out of the sisters, so, I'm kind of like your favourite sister," Mallie said.

"Amelia likes him, and you like everybody Amelia likes. I'm not worried," Meredith said. "Besides, you didn't approve of Derek at first, and then you took him for congratulations beers when we adopted Zola. I'm pretty confident about you and Nick getting on," Meredith said.

"Ah, fuck, man," Mallie chuckled, running her hand through her hair. "I miss him. Hated him at first, bless his poor soul. I think I was just more pissed that he was walking around in his position of power and breaking your little cold stone heart while he had a wife. And then I saw how worried he was, after you drowned. I watched him sit in the hallway for hours just waiting for you to come back to him, and I knew I had to give him a chance. He was a good man, a good father. It's why Scout is Scout Derek," Mallie said.

"He would be proud of you and Amelia. And he would be happy you two finally admitted your feelings and have got this far. He wanted her to be happy, and I've never seen her happier with anybody but you and the kids. He'd love the kids. All three of them," Meredith squeezed Mallie's hand. "I miss him, too. Constantly. It's always like I'm drowning when I wake up. But, the more I breathe, the easier it gets until I fall asleep, and then I do it all over again," Meredith said.

"It's like that with Dean," Mallie said quietly. "I see him in Pru constantly. Her smile, her eyes, her hugs. I wake up and her first smile breaks my heart because I see my brother staring up at me, and then I remember that it's actually his little girl I'm now raising because he can't. It's only the first time, but it's like drowning. And then my brain catches up and remembers that I've been doing this for weeks, now, and I can breathe again because today is never going to be as bad as the first few days," Mallie said.

"I see Derek in Ellis. I get it," Meredith said, squeezing Mallie's hand again. "You know I'm here for you, right? I've been away a lot this year, but you're my favourite sister, so, you can always talk to me about anything. I'll always make time for you," she said.

"I know," Mallie smiled softly. "You're the best sister ever. Now, enough emotions. I'm going to get my kids and go and cook for your mystery man," Mallie said, letting go of Meredith and stepping away.

"He's not a mystery if your wife knows him!" Meredith said, watching Mallie walk away.

"I'm not my wife!" Mallie grinned.