Free

"Then you had hot heated you know what on the kitchen bench?"

"Not quite," I sighed. "Then he went back to his apartment and I cursed the tray that had burnt me, using a pack of frozen peas to ease the pain," I scoffed.

My best friend, who was also my right-hand man in the bakery could have been a journalist in another time, since she was always so interested in my love life.

Bagging up the fresh bread she winked, "So he's single now?"

"Jemma!" I shook my head, preparing to open the shop.

It was six am and the sun was indeed having a sleep in, unlike us, but I wasn't complaining. It'd been too long since I'd been in my bakery, and now, since lockdown had entered a new phase, people were now able to go to cafés and restaurants again.

It was made of old-fashioned brown brick, had an oak floor, and the counter was matching a matching wood but deeper and richer in colour. I took pride in polishing the counter as much as the rounded glass casing which held all manner of treats. Across the room, which filled most of the space were circular tables with vintage chairs, that had puffed cushions and the overhanding lights dangled from the large beams above.

"So, where's this sexy pizza guy anyway?" Jemma straightened the jam doughnuts in the display cabinet.

I re-tied my apron and started to display the fresh bread on the back wooden shelves, behind the counter, "He's working in his shop." I answered truthfully, however failing to mention that his business was merely down the street, on this small lane of restaurants.

I hadn't anticipated I'd revealed enough information to feed her stalking behaviour. In an instant she was on her phone, looking up 'Vince pizza shop' and to my astonishment found it in a few seconds.

"Dude!" Jemma ran up to me, nearly knocking the chocolate eclairs off the counter, "He's down the street!"

I looked down, steadying the eclairs, and humming serenely to myself.

"Omg you little vixen, you weren't going to tell me!" Jemma had a wide mouth, showing complete shock.

"Can you blame me, you stalker?" I laughed at her need to make drama.

"Please," Jemma whined. "I'm practically engaged. I need to hear about any hot bachelors in your life to keep me sane."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Don't get me wrong, love Mike to death, but that's old news," she waved her flour covered hands. "Now hot pizza chef is shiny and new!"

"Too bad your locked down hey?"

"Not for me," she led me to the door. "Hannah I can tell by the way you over baked the bread today. This guy is under your skin. You're toast."

I was being pulled along by her to the street. "What kind of metaphor is that?" I laughed.

"The kind that leads us to your future hubby." Jemma started to drag me down the lane towards Vince's shop.

"What about the customers?" I looked over my shoulder at my bakery, its stone front and white sign calling me back.

Jemma didn't stop, "We open in an hour, and there's only so many times you can straighten a croissant in the display cabinet."

I started to hyperventilate, "All right but you only get a look, we're not hanging around."

"Agreed, all you have to do is point him out." Jemma walked with a hop, overly excited to see Vince, "Why are you so edgy around him?"

The next thing I said I regretted immediately, "We made a deal."

"What kind of deal," Jemma excitedly skipped. "I haven't heard about any deal."

I grinned sheepishly, "The kind where both parties are... satisfied."

"OMG!" Jemma slapped my arm, "You're in a 'friends with benefits' deal!" She gazed at me with new-found awe, "You an FWB? Did you meet him on Tinder? Do I even know you?"