Jelly

"You're good," the stranger with the amazing accent, moaned before me.

"Lemon meringues are my specialty," I grinned, always pleased to have an admirer of my baking.

Sipping on my takeaway coffee, we sat at a wonky round table outside the café down the lane. Its aesthetic was slightly miscellaneous with hanging plants inside and unmatched tea-cups. For most the time I'd held up the menu, trying to cover my face since the café was inconveniently right next-door Vince's place. I hadn't seen him yet but felt a wave of nervousness when the waiter took away the menu.

"I can't help but believe you have a lot of specialties," the guy fixed his glasses, which had fogged when he lifted his tea to his lips.

I laughed suspiciously at his boyish charm, not believing it was possible for guys in their early twenties not to be players. He was truly something from a Renaissance novel, it was rather refreshing.

"Alright Mr. Darcy, what's your name?" I chuckled.

He seemed amused by my comparison, "Noah Moore." He held out his hand and I shook it.

"Hannah," I beamed. "Hannah Lee."

"Well Miss Lee," he turned his head to the left, peering towards Vince's shop. "Can I ask you a question?"

I took a gulp of my coffee humming with a nod.

"How come you haven't taken your eyes of that little pizza shop over there ever since we sat down?" He smiled, raising an eyebrow in challenge. Noah took a sip of his tea, crossing his legs and leaning back into his chair. I couldn't help but like him more for noticing.

"Ex," was the only adjective which wouldn't make this hot British dude run for the hills.

He just nodded, "Recent?"

"As if it were yesterday," I smiled, knowing full well it practically was.

"My girlfriend and I broke up before I came over," Noah shared. "I wanted to surf and have an adventure, she wanted me to take over her father's business."

"Ah yes," everyone new that story well. "Find any good waves thus far or was it all for nothing?" I laughed, trying to make a joke out of his misfortunes.

"Well, I shall find out today, I'm heading up North, and will continue on wherever the waves take me metaphorically speaking," he waved his hand.

Then just as I was allowing myself to relax, I spotted Vince. It was a very awkward exchange since he was looking directly at me through the wide glass window of his shop. He was setting out the chairs, since he often opened later than me, and he had a subdued look to his face. It was strange, I'd never seen him like that before as if defeated.

I quickly looked to Noah, "So you're leaving today?"

"It's just my luck," he placed his teacup down.

"What is?" I smiled, genuinely to him, it was rather nice having a person to chat to and it was just a bonus that he was a completely gorgeous foreigner.

"To meet a beautiful girl on the last day and have her be in love with the local pizza man," he sent me a smirk.

He wasn't as clueless as I had thought, I suppose a sweet face can be a trick like any other.

I thought it would be best to not say anything, since we both knew he was right, merely enjoy the moment, outside in a quaint café with the breeze behind us.

"We could still have a little fun," he put out his hand.

I took it and he pulled me close. I was an inch from his face, breathing heavily.

I didn't know what to expect until he leant even closer, tickling my ear with a whisper, "Is he looking?"

From my peripheral I spotted Vince eyeing us off, as he wiped down the tables inside his shop a little too vigorously.

I nodded.

"Good," and with that Noah's hands gently lifted my cheeks to his face and he kissed me.

It was a sweet kiss from a stranger, a short, however entirely delightful one. I was acutely aware that it didn't send me to another dimension the way Vince's kisses did. I'm really not sure anyone else's ever would.

"If he doesn't chase you after that, he's barking mad," Noah kissed my hand and left, wandering down the small brick lane, with his hands in his pockets, whistling a merry little tune. It was one of those fleeting moments in life when a stranger alters your perspective through a surreal act of kindness, not entirely altruistically. I watched in amazement as the dashing Brit walk out of my life.