forty-seven :

F O R T Y - S E V E N

⋮✰⋮

After Adeline left the hospital wing, she felt as if she couldn't go anywhere without being stared at. She loved being able to walk around again around Hogwarts after nearly a week in the hospital. But she hated the way how whispers and looks seemed to follow her every move.

Unlike Harry, Adeline wasn't used to this feeling. Sure, she had gotten a decent amount of attention because of the Triwizard Tournament. But it wasn't the same as having all these rumors swirling about her, constantly questioning what happened in that graveyard. Adeline knew that was what they were doing because for the past five years, she had been part of the crowd gossiping about Harry's yearly antics.

There was a lot she had to get used to. Adeline had to be more careful where she stepped, as she was colliding with things and tripping a lot more than she used to. She had to figure out how to see the world out of only one eye from here on out.

Adeline was thankful that her friends had stuck by her side for it all. Even though it was still difficult – well, impossible – for Adeline to talk about what happened, Estelle, Melanie, Ophelia, and George had been incredible support systems for her. They weren't overbearing or acted as if she couldn't do anything anymore. Instead, they acted like her rock, helping Adeline adjust in whatever ways they could to life with vision in only one eye.

The Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students had left Hogwarts a little different than when they arrived. Of course, Durmstrang was now missing a headmaster. But many of the students had made close friends during their time at Hogwarts. It was difficult for Adeline to say goodbye to Fleur, but the two promised each other to write as much as they could in the coming months.

There was one thing, however, that didn't cross her mind until someone else brought it up. In the midst of everything that had happened, Adeline had completely forgotten about the fact that she was one of the winners of the Triwizard Tournament.

⋮✰⋮

Adeline looked up from her book when she heard the clunk of a heavy object on her bedside table. Harry stood by her bedside, still holding onto a dark brown pouch that was now resting on the small table next to her hospital bed. "It's yours."

When Adeline still stared at him, confused, Harry elaborated, "The Triwizard Winnings. We both won, and I really don't want it."

Adeline shook her head quickly. "No," She answered after a few seconds. "I'm not taking it."

"What, why–"

Adeline cut him off by shoving the bag of coins back towards Harry. "I don't want it or need it," She insisted. "You can find something to do with it. Just...make it good, okay?"

⋮✰⋮

The train ride back to Kings Cross station was more solemn than usual.

Of course, no one tried to make it serious. Everyone acted as normal as ever. George had his arm wrapped around Adeline's waist, and her back was pressed against his chest as they watched Melanie, Cedric, Estelle, and Ophelia participate in a heated Gobstones match. At the same time, George, Fred, and Lee were cracking jokes that had the whole cabin in stitches laughing.

At the same time, nobody could deny that things were much different now. The Wizarding World had changed, even if the Minister of Magic wasn't ready to acknowledge that yet. None of them knew what it was like to live in a world where Lord Voldemort was as powerful as he was thirteen years before.