fifty-three :

F I F T Y - T H R E E

⋮✰⋮

Adeline didn't want to fall asleep.

Hermione and Ginny had been fast asleep for at least an hour, which Adeline could tell from their quiet snores. But Adeline was still wide awake in her bed, laying still on the hard mattress and using her wand as a light to read under her covers.

If she were anywhere else, Adeline would've at least tried to fall asleep by now. In her bedroom back at home, she was completely alone and didn't have to worry about anyone else in her home. At Hogwarts, she could shut the curtains to her four-poster bed and cast charms so that the other people in the dorm couldn't hear.

But Adeline couldn't do that in the small room in Grimmauld Place, and she was terrified of the two girls – and potentially everyone else – knowing what she went through most nights.

So she laid awake, refusing to let herself even close her eye for more than a brief moment. Adeline tried to stay focused on her book, but the dim light from her wand made it difficult to read and her neck was becoming very stiff from being bent over for so long.

After a while, Adeline became tired of the position she was in, and it was frankly beginning to hurt. An idea began to form in her mind, and after making sure that the two girls were still asleep, Adeline quietly got out of her bed. She then grabbed her wand and book before sneaking down the hall, making sure to try and keep the floors from creaking too much and carefully stepping her way through hallway so she didn't trip.

Adeline found the newly cleaned library completely empty, minus the books that lined the walls and furniture that still looked comfortable even after years of not being used. The books were of little use to her. Her and Hermione had looked through them earlier and almost of them were filled with pureblood teachings and hatred towards Muggle-born witches and wizards, so Adeline didn't want to go anywhere near them. Her worn copy of Anne of Green Gables was enough for her, anyways.

She curled up on the small blue couch near the center of the room and began preparing for a night of reading and trying to keep herself from falling asleep. However, Adeline's plans quickly changed when she heard the door to the library creak open.

In the doorway stood the tall, lanky frame of George Weasley. He wore a pair of plaid pajama bottoms and a thin grey t-shirt that made Adeline's cheeks burn if she looked for a little too long at it. Her blue hair ribbon she had given him the night of the Third Task remained tied around his wrist, and it seemed to have become a staple in George's wardrobe. George smiled tiredly at her, and Adeline couldn't help but grin in return.

"What are you doing up?" George said in a teasing voice as he made his way over to Adeline. "I thought prefects never stayed up this late."

"You wouldn't be saying that if we were together while we were studying for O.W.L.s."

"Well, we have N.E.W.T.s together this year, so I'm sure I'll experience all that joy firsthand," He chuckled quietly as he sat down next to her. "Now seriously...why are you up so late?"

"I think the more important question why are you up so late."

"Got up to get a glass of water and happened to notice you sneaking around. Now tell me what's up."

Adeline shifted awkwardly on the couch, fiddling with her fingers in her lap. "Just...couldn't sleep."

Well, that's one way to put it.

George could tell that she was lying – or at least not telling the full truth. He had known her for long enough to tell when Adeline was hiding something from him. But George also knew her well enough that whenever Adeline was hiding something, there was only ever one reason for it – Adeline was hurting, and she wasn't going to talk about it, no matter how hard George pressed.