sixty-one :

S I X T Y - O N E

⋮✰⋮

The castle was quiet as Adeline made her way down the halls. After spending a late night patrolling the corridors, Adeline was on her way back to the Ravenclaw tower where she'd hopefully manage to get some sleep. It was thankfully a Friday night, so there was a small chance that she'd be able to sleep in that Saturday morning.

As Adeline passed by the windows, she could catch glimpses of the starry night sky. It was a rare clear night in October, but Adeline still felt the chill breeze through the Hogwarts corridors. She instinctively wrapped her arms around herself, trying to keep herself warm despite the fact most of her legs were bare and freezing cold.

Then she felt a hand grab her waist.

Adeline whipped around and grabbed her wand out of her messenger bag. She was about to start hexing the person and only stopped herself when she saw George smiling brightly at her. "Well someone's a little paranoid there," He chuckled, lowering Adeline's raised wand hand. "I thought you'd be happy to see me."

George was still wearing his school uniform, but his Gryffindor tie was loose around his neck and his white shirt was untucked from his pants. His eyes were tired, but his smile was still as bright as ever. "You know I'm always happy to see you, but I feel like you should be asleep..." Adeline muttered, smiling a little to herself as George wrapped an arm around her waist to bring her close against him. "You've seemed exhausted lately, especially after Quidditch practices started. You didn't need to wait up with me, you know."

"Quidditch practice got called off early tonight, so I figured I'd come surprise you after your patrol," George responded with a shrug. When Adeline didn't respond immediately, he quickly became worried that he had done something wrong and didn't know what. "You don't mind...right?"

"No, no I don't mind at all," Adeline answered quickly. "It's just...I don't want us to get into trouble. It is past curfew."

"No wonder they made you Head Girl. You're even strict about the rules with your wonderful boyfriend."

"Well when your wonderful boyfriend likely holds the record for the most detentions held in Hogwarts history– save for his twin brother – I have a right to be hesitant."

"Come on, Addie! Live a little!" He persuaded, tucking a loose curl behind her ear before cupping her cheek with his hand. "You've finally got your first detention, so there's no need for you to be so panicked about that."

"I'm more panicked about Professor Umbridge finding us, if I'm being honest," Adeline said. As if to prove her point, she looked around the corridor to make sure the short professor wasn't anywhere nearby. "Although...we do never spend anytime alone anymore..."

George's grin grew wider, if that was even possible. "Exactly, Addie. Also, let's not forget you're dating an expert at sneaking around the castle.

"Your detention record says otherwise."

"Oh so you've been looking at my records?" George leaned in so close that his nose was practically pressed up against hers. "It kind of sounds like you're a little obsessed with me."

"Keep making comments like that, and you won't be taking me anywhere tonight."

"So what you're saying is that I have a chance to take you somewhere tonight?"

Adeline ducked her head and tried to hide a smile. Even though she had spent the past minute hesitating, Adeline knew she was going to say yes in the end. She had always been someone who seldom broke the rules, but with George, she could feel herself making exception after exception for the fiery-haired boy.