fifty-eight :

F I F T Y - E I G H T

⋮✰⋮

"Adeline got detention–"

"Are you ever going to stop singing that song?"

"Adeline got detention–"

Even though she wanted to laugh a little bit, Adeline's rolled her eye as she tried to tune out Ophelia's nonstop singing as they walked down the Hogwarts corridors. It didn't help that her bowtruckle Bowie was now trying to sing along to the best of his ability, so now Ophelia's singing was accompanied by a high-pitched squeaking sound. Their classes were long done for the day, and Adeline was trying to make the best of her free time before she was forced back into

"I mean, you can't blame her?" Melanie noted with a teasing grin. "Ophelia's gotten more detentions than all of us combined, and you've never even been yelled at a teacher before."

"But she's been singing that since yesterday afternoon," Adeline complained, even though she was trying to hold back her laughter.

The group of girls arrived outside the corridor where the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom was located. "You guys should go to dinner. Merlin knows what would happen if Professor Umbridge saw you here too."

"No offense, Adeline, but I'd rather be as far away from that woman as possible," Melanie muttered, earning nods of agreement from the girls. "I love you, but not enough to get stuck in detention with you as well."

"Don't worry, I get it," Adeline giggled before turning to Estelle and asking, "Do you mind bringing back dinner for me? I don't know what time I'm going to be back, but I'd rather not go to bed on an empty stomach."

Estelle nodded. "I can sneak it out for you. At least Professor Umbridge isn't going to be there, and she's probably the one that be the angriest."

Adeline let out a small chuckle and gave her friends one final goodbye before opening up the classroom door. When she entered the classroom, she found it to be empty at first glance. As she made her way up the winding staircase leading to Professor Umbridge's office doors, Adeline couldn't help let out a small laugh when she saw Harry standing at the top. "You too?"

"I have the feeling we're going to be here a lot this year," Harry chuckled. Even though he was trying to say it as a joke, there was an element of truth to his statement that made them both uneasy. Harry then grabbed the door knob and whispered, "I've been standing out here for five minutes, but I didn't want to go in just yet."

"We'll go in there together," Adeline reassured before she admitted, "Although, I'm a little terrified to be alone in a room with her."

"Well, it's not like we've been put into dangerous situations together before," Harry muttered. He then took a deep breath, grabbed the doorknob, and opened up the door to the professor's office.

The first thing Adeline noticed – well, heard – was the meowing. Looking around the room, Adeline was a little unnerved when she saw all the porcelain cat plates covering the walls.

The second thing Adeline noticed was all the pink.

Adeline normally liked the color pink. However, being forced into a room that was pink from wall-to-wall gave her this sickening feeling that made her want to hide away all her pink hair ribbons and sweaters for the rest of the school year.

Professor Umbridge looked up from her cup of tea and gave the pair a sickly-sweet smile. She gestured to the two small desks sitting in front of hers and informed the pair, "You'll be writing lines for me today, you two."