CHAPTER 13

Welcome, young one. We are the Sendac. We welcome you into our midst as one of our own. Long ago, the Sendac came to this planet and found it inferior, a world that suffered from famine, war, diseases. The people of your world were using up the environment at an alarming rate. We studied your world for years and determined it was ripe for what we had to offer.

But we, the Sendac, had long ago given up our corporeal bodies to exist as a special kind of energy. The people of this world lacked the intelligence to communicate with our superior existence. Therefore, we suffused a lineage of humans with the genetic marker of the Sendac. Working through and with a human host is essential. One from this line would enter into a symbiotic relationship with us as the marker would make him or her part of us. As one, we would bind together to correct the wrongs of this world.

Jared could not see them, but he could sense many minds around him, so he channeled his thoughts toward them. Did the people of my world ever ask for your help? I understand you came with good intentions, and you did much good, but you've put yourselves as a kind of god over us.

Humans are like children, and we, the parent, must guide and nurture. We took the people and this world as our property. We decided to make it a paradise of perfection as we have with other worlds. Humans, unfortunately, are infected with a mental disease known as free will. You think the ability to act at one's own discretion without considering the various ramifications is a good premise.

If Jared could have moved his head, he would have shaken it. He didn't see man as a perfect species, but just how little the Sendac thought of humans felt disturbing. You must have noticed there is much good in our world. What of the beauty that man created? Or his love for one another?

Beauty is irrelevant. Love is irrelevant. These are not parameters that can be measured or calculated. What is relevant are predictions, forecasting, and probabilities. That is why we've served humans in the guise of the NP computer consoles. But you are connected to every unit, and therefore to every Sendac in this world.

So when Inquisitors work on life orders and they pass the checks and balances, we're setting up people so you can manage their lives? The thought boggled his mind that he'd sentenced his own race to voluntary enthrallment.

Correct. You see the filaments. They connect humans to us, and we direct your predetermined lives.

Jared remembered Hank and the cops in his kitchen. How the thin fibers extended up from each of them toward the NP building.

Toward the Sendac.

It is the only way to control and provide what would be suitable for man, benefit, and progress his life and world toward perfection. If strict equations and formulas decide life and death, and each man, woman, and child live by a designated script, life on this planet could become like the Sendac, perfect.

You're wrong! cried Jared. Love, beauty, and the individuality of humans are essential. It's not irrelevant! The thought of his redheaded wife and the joy she brought to him swarmed his achy soul. It pained him how it took an encounter with this race of energy beings with illusions of grandeur for him to see the truth. Lorraine had seen it.

I love you, babe. Nothing can take that away.

Ah, we see you are still bound to the life which is no longer available to you. You were a man of numbers, and you trusted the numbers. You processed and forecasted life and death based on those numbers. You once understood that if a man were to flourish, he must live a strict scripted life. He must not be subjected to free will but allowed to think within the confines.