Epilogue

Lorraine began washing the vegetables in the old-fashioned sink. As the cool water ran into the drain, she gazed out of the window at the little girl who played on the tire swing in the old ash tree. When she'd bought the land and moved into the roomy white cottage four years ago, her cousin, Darragh, had wanted to chop the tree down. He thought it would make good firewood.

But Lorraine had grabbed the ax out of his hand, threatening to chop him down, and the discussion ended then and there.

Tania loved the old tree. The five-year-old had such a vivid imagination. "When she sits on the tire swing, the places she goes with that wonderful little mind," muttered Lorraine. "So much like her daddy."

Instead of attending to the cleaning and peeling, Lorraine stepped to the open door and gazed out at the fantastic view. She had missed Ireland. The entire country teemed with greenery. No matter where she took Tania, the scenery remained breathtaking with a coastline sent from the gods. Luckily, the locals were nothing short of charming.

Lorraine returned to the sink, but her thoughts remained miles away from her present task.

A neighing horse startled her out of her musings. Lorraine glance out of the window at the older woman, her red mane of hair sprinkled with strands of silver, riding onto the property on an impressive Belgian Warmblood stallion. Lorraine gave up on the vegetables, wiped her hands, and went to greet her mother. She saw Tania wave happily to her grandmother as she spun on the tree swing, singing at the top of her lungs.

The woman, Ciara Agnew, led the horse to the padlock, where Lorraine joined her. Together they rubbed the animal, Deraj, down and let him loose to enjoy the sunshine.

The older woman turned to Lorraine, "Mar sin, an bhfuil cinneadh déanta agat dul amach chun dinnéir le Oisin anocht?"

"English, mam. I want to get back into practice," said Lorraine as she linked arms with her parent. "I want Tania to learn both languages even though she doesn't seem taken with her father's tongue."

Her mother nodded as she had experienced the child's reluctance firsthand. Lorraine continued. "And to answer your question, no, I'm not going out to dinner with Oisin tonight or any other night."

Ciara frowned. "Oh, Lorraine, Oisin is a fine man. Ever since the Life and Death bringers left us, he's moved up fast in the local government. He has an eye on you."

"His eye is looking to get between some poor lass' legs."

"You've turned down nearly every single man in the district," complained her mother. "You keep this up, and your horse will be the only thing you get between your legs." With a quick hug, Ciara went to say goodbye to her granddaughter.

"She just doesn't understand," whispered Lorraine. "It's hard to settle for less when you've had the absolute best."

The redhead went back inside, determined to clean the vegetables.

Two hours later, little Tania called for her mother, her reddish-brown ponytail bouncing along as she ran toward the house. "Mam, féach! Carr!"

A car, coming here? Lorraine wasn't expecting anyone this afternoon. She met the child in the front of the cottage as a black limousine pulled into the long driveway. The limo stopped, and the driver got out. Sunglasses and a man bun were the most visible aspects. He gazed around the yard before he caught sight of her. Lorraine's hand slid toward her boot...

"Hey, Red," said a voice from the past. "You still hustling people outta their money?"

Lorraine's eyes widened. "Felipe? What are you doing here?" She laughed as she ran to him, throwing slender arms around him, remembering the lad back from her pool playing days at Coyo's. "You're older and still just as handsome."