Some Things Have To Be Said (Part Two)

You don't really want to do anything after that. Not at first. Sure, the S.W.O.R.D. camp is bustling with activity after that close call with Wanda, but to you, it feels like the world has stopped spinning inside of your bunk, like you're in the eye of a hurricane. However, all hearts have to be hardened at some point, and you've had plenty of practice with S.H.I.E.L.D., so you allow yourself only a minute or so of melancholy before picking yourself back up again. The note from Wanda, however, gets tucked inside your front pocket. Right next to your heart.

When you emerge from the bunks and cross over the muddy fields to the debriefing room, you sense the storm brewing inside from the second you push open the door and slip in the room. You feel like you could cut the tension with a knife. After a second, you remember why- Director Hayward had attempted to fire on Wanda, and hidden that truth from you, Monica, Jimmy, and Darcy, all of whom happen to be furious about it.

Monica is currently laying into Hayward about how his move wasn't a tactical opportunity but a mistake, and how he nearly damned them all from the start. Darcy makes a joke about Hayward's general ineptitude, which causes the Director to turn around and shift the conversation to her. "You work for me?" He asks, condescension reeking from every word. "I actually don't know." She replies, but you step forward. "She may not, but I've been a part of S.H.I.E.L.D. since the start. This is not how you handle potential threats."

Hayward sighs, his eyes cutting over to you. "Looks like we've got the whole team here again. And might I ask, what were your credentials other than being in the same room as an Avenger a couple of times?" You take a step forward, tone becoming stony and cold. "I have had years of experience dealing with extraterrestrial threats, during which time you were cooling your heels in a desk job. You brought me here because you wanted my advice on how to handle Wanda, advice I can share because I know exactly how she works. Let me tell you this- if you continue to attack someone, they will always fight back. Wanda is not the enemy here, but she will be if you keep treating her like one."

Hayward's eyes harden. "I can see now that none of you have the stomach for this job." He gestures to a couple of guards. "Get them off of my base." You watch with stunned eyes as four guards appear to escort you, Monica, Jimmy, and Darcy from the room. "This is not how we work together as a team. As an organization. You know that, Director, and this entire mission will fall apart if you continue to act like this."

Hayward just turns his back as you're forced from the room. You allow yourselves to be brought outside towards the trucks, but make quick eye contact with Monica and Jimmy once you're nearing the outskirts of the encampment. Without warning, you turn on your guards. Monica and Jimmy each take down the one holding them, and you cover for both yourself and Darcy. Although you pride yourself on the moral and tactical part of S.H.I.E.L.D. life, you do have to admit that it is quite satisfying to see the S.W.O.R.D. agents unconscious on the ground.

Darcy, once recovered from the shock of being so close to the fighting, leads your small group over to one of the tech stations on the Hex encampment. She starts up her laptop, tapping away at the screen while the rest of you are left to stand on either side of her, tense and on guard for any further attacks. Luckily, there don't appear to be any, and your small party remains undiscovered.

Once Darcy gathers the necessary data, you head towards the opening of the tech station to make an exit before Hayward realizes you never left the base. Darcy, however, remains behind, and you turn back to face her. "Come on, Darce, we have to go." She shakes her head. "There are a couple things I need to see first. You guys go on ahead." You lock eyes with Monica and Jimmy, and jerk your head towards the door. "You two go ahead and leave. I'll stay here with Darcy to make sure she's alright." What you don't say is that you'll be staying to take down any guards, because you're pretty sure that even the most inexperienced S.W.O.R.D. intern could beat Darcy in a fight.