Best Kept Secrets (Part One)

Lights flick on in the studio. Cameras start rolling. Title cards disappear, show is live.

Wanda sits on the sofa, legs folded primly in front of her. Her best friend, Agnes, is seated one cushion over, arm flung over the back of the couch, similar to Wanda in excitement but less so in decorum. Classic, charming 1950s dresses are resplendent on both; Wanda's is plain, Agnes' checkered. The scene is set, the black and white filter flickering over them both.

The friends are in mid-conversation when Agnes stops suddenly to point at a ring on the other woman's hand. "Why, Wanda, I didn't realize you were married! Who's the lucky sucker, and how come I haven't met them yet?" Wanda holds out her hand, and both of them admire the shiny band on her finger. "Their name is Y/N, and you don't know because we were only married recently. The ceremony was just a short while ago, but I feel like I've known them all my life."

There's a knock on the door, and Wanda flies from her seat, hurrying over to answer. "In fact, I think that will be them right there. Oh, this is swell- I'd been hoping the two of you would meet." Wanda opens the door to reveal her spouse, sporting 1950s attire as well, a briefcase clasped loosely in one hand. Y/N leans over to kiss their wife, then glances over at Agnes, who has risen to her feet, a somewhat stunned expression on her face.

"I see we have a guest! I don't believe we've yet been introduced, my name is Y/N." Y/N holds out their hand to Agnes, who shakes it after a second. "Agnes, dear, I'm Agnes." The neighbour glances over at Y/N's clothes, then flashes a cheery grin. "I love your fashion sense, honey! You've got to tell me where you got those slacks." Y/N laughs. "Odds and ends from around town. I saw this purple shirt and I just couldn't resist picking it up. I think purple's got to be my favorite color."

Agnes' smile twists slightly, as if thinking about an inside joke that only she happens to know. "It's my favorite color too, dear. Looks like we have that in common." Y/N smiles at that. "I'm afraid I'm rather late to meeting you, though. I have work in the city, which ran a little overtime." Wanda, after taking Y/N's coat, rejoins the two newly formed friends. "Y/N's magic at computing. Magic's just the right word for her, actually."

Y/N flinches at that, turning to Wanda with a frozen smile. "Wanda, honey, I thought we weren't supposed to be bringing that up." Wanda just waves a hand dismissively. "Don't worry about it-Agnes already knows everything about me. She won't be worried by a few things that are out of the ordinary." Y/N visibly relaxes. "That's good to hear." Y/N faces Agnes once more, smiling. "If you know about Wanda's magic, then I'm assuming you'll know about mine. I'm still not sure when to tell people or not. I don't want a whole Salem Witch Trial on my hands, you know? That could get kind of messy."

Agnes grimaces. "You have no idea." A faint ripple of laughter cascades down from the audience, and Y/N smiles fondly at Wanda. "That's part of how we met, actually. We both have similar abilities, except she's in red and I'm in purple. It certainly helped bring us together- I don't think anyone can really understand everything about me except her." Agnes clasps her hands together. "That's just darling, honestly. You two are the cutest."

Camera zooms out on the scene, screen fades to black.

Agatha walks out of the house while Wanda is busy setting up the next scene. There's no way Y/N could be- absolutely no way. But there are too many similarities between herself and Y/N for a coincidence- the purple, the magic, the resemblance? It couldn't possibly be true, but yet, Agatha still has a dawning realization that Y/N could maybe, possibly, just be-

Scene opens to a new episode. The audience cheers, action!

Y/N stands, holding their young son Billy in their arms as he carefully tapes the last edge of a banner to the wall. Y/N adjusts their grip slightly, Billy's shoes several feet above the ground so he can properly affix the banner. There's a whooshing sound from behind them, and Y/N glances over to see their other son, Tommy, just arriving in the room. He flashes a thumbs-up and a big grin to his parent. "Everything is set. We're ready to go!"