Manipulation

For once, Wanda Maximoff is actually starting to be nervous about the upcoming mission.

The Avengers don't usually like to warn her about these sorts of things, they keep so many details under wraps that she never really knows what she's going into until the bullets are flying past her head. It's not like it really matters, anyway, all Wanda has to do is conjure up a few swarms of crimson magic and she'll never get remotely close to dying, but still.

Perhaps it's because there hasn't been anything even vaguely worth the alarm. Nothing since Sokovia, at least. Back then, the Avengers really had been worried, and for good measure. The city had been carved out from the ground like a heap of sand and flung into the sky. Nothing can match that now, least of all something as insignificant as a bomb threat from another disgruntled ex-HYDRA employee.

Then again, maybe it's just Wanda refusing to make a big deal out of anything. Nothing could possibly stack up against Sokovia because Sokovia killed her brother, and if she has to admit that Pietro Maximoff's death was the cost of yet another daily excursion, it'll be worthless. Pietro has never been worthless, and thus Sokovia must have been the worst of the worst. Case closed.

Today, however, is starting to prick at the corners of Wanda's consciousness, forcing her to consider another day of terror and woe. The other Avengers around her really do seem worried about whatever it is that they're about to do. Although Wanda hasn't yet been briefed on the whole sordid affair, she can see Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, and Natasha Romanoff running around frantically in the background, trying to rally the last few troops before the briefing.

Wanda isn't the only one to pick up on the considerable uptick in tension. The girl sitting by her side on the long army-issue benches along the wall crosses her legs matter-of-factly, then turns to Wanda with a knowing grimace.

"Seems pretty bad, doesn't it?" She asks.

Wanda nods her head in agreement. "Maybe we'll actually have something interesting to do for once."

The other girl chuckles. "It sounds like you're looking for trouble. Luckily for you, we might find it."

Wanda glances at her. "Do you really think today's mission is going to be a problem?"

"Judging by the vein bulging in Director Fury's forehead," the other girl says, lifting a shoulder, "probably. What do you think?"

"Well," Wanda says carefully, "you seem to think so, and that's good enough for me."

The other girl smiles, dazzling as summer sun. "You trust me that much?"

"Of course I do," Wanda returns, "You know I do."

After pressing a kiss to the other girl's cheek, Wanda feels that she's been able to successfully prove her point. How could she not trust the girl's wisdom, after all, when she's Y/N L/N and that's as good as gold in Wanda's eyes?

Wanda has known Y/N for only a handful of months, but she's already become the person Wanda trusts most in this whole establishment. When Wanda first started down the Avengers career path after the destruction of Sokovia, she didn't expect to befriend any S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, let alone fall in love with them.

Y/N, however, has a way of sneaking under Wanda's guard. Wanda's never met anyone quite so carefree or happy, especially in this line of work. From what she's been able to pick up, and from what Y/N has told her directly, Y/N started as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent when she was fairly young, then transferred to the Avengers after she was accidentally given inhuman abilities when a mission went south.

Now, Y/N uses her agent training as well as enhanced strength and agility to boost the Avengers' numbers when they're out on missions. She started as Wanda's combat partner at first, the two of them sent out into the field every time a mission came about to ensure that Wanda wouldn't die, or worse, go off S.H.I.E.L.D. protocol.