Grief and Love

The first time Wanda Maximoff sees Y/N L/N, she thinks the city might have already come crashing down. That's what this all means, right? She's gone and died, and a godforsaken angel has already come to spirit her away to whatever comes next. Otherwise, there would be no reason that she, someone who's already seen far too much death and destruction in her own home, would be able to look over her shoulder so casually and see someone like Y/N. There's simply no other explanation for it.

On second look, Wanda realizes that the woman isn't an angel or anything like that at all- merely the prettiest, most charming person perhaps to ever walk the earth. She's fighting alongside Natasha Romanoff, two S.H.I.E.L.D. spies who are far too good at taking down all manner of threats, especially Ultron's robots. It's as if they've been training their whole lives for the complete and thorough destruction of walking, fighting metallic humanoids, and this simply happened to be the best chance to use their skills. Simply put, Wanda is fascinated.

So, when she comes bursting out of a darkened building that's already half rubble itself, she might just happen to make sure that her powers are on full display, that the usual aura of red that flickers and flows over her hands looks as intimidating and cool as possible. That way, when Y/N glances up at her in surprise, Wanda can rest easy with the knowledge that she hasn't embarrassed herself too badly quite yet.

Wanda aims an energy blast at a particularly ruthless drone that's been troubling Y/N for a little while now. Maybe she is truly just trying to defend her city, or maybe it's just a coincidence that her first shot happens to be one that frees up Y/N's path to her, so the agent is easily able to head her way. Things like that happen all the time, you know. No reason to think that it would be anything more than just a casual occurrence.

Y/N L/N is even more breathtaking up close. She flashes Wanda a grin, gun already pointed towards another drone. It's as if fighting for her life is just a casual hobby, and she can multitask in a battle to the death as if it were nothing more than a crossword puzzle. "Nice shot, Maximoff." Wanda manages a grin. "Thanks. Who are you?" She would have preferred something a little more interesting, less questioning and more casual conversation, but she's so dizzy from Y/N's smile that she's fairly sure that this is all she can handle right now.

However, Y/N doesn't appear surprised by the question at all. "I'm Y/N, Y/N L/N. Pleasure to be defending Sokovia with you against a wave of robots." Wanda laughs. "Any time." Y/N pretends to frown while nailing a drone right between the glowing LED eyes. "Well, I'd hope not any time. I'm perfectly fine with keeping this to a one time occurrence." How is she this good at the casual jokes in the middle of all of this? Wanda may be falling harder than she thought.

She only gets a few minutes to reflect on it, though. Soon enough, Natasha's starting to press forward in another direction, and Y/N is clearly about to follow her. Wanda, suddenly grasped by a terrifying need to not have Y/N walk away from her so quickly, turns back to the woman beside her. "Call me if you need help today, okay? I'd love to stick around. I think we could work quite well together."

Wanda figures she has at least some good odds with this attempt. She's got the usual grin, the half raised eyebrow, the inviting drawl intermingled with the stress of Sokovian syllables. By all accounts, Y/N should either take her up on the offer or politely turn her down. What Wanda wasn't expecting was for Y/N to furrow her brow in consternation, as if thinking through a particularly puzzling set of brain teasers.

"That's a good idea, although I'm not sure if it would work or not. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. is wanting us to go on a more circular attack pattern, and if we move our fighters more to the left arc, it could work." As Wanda watches, amazed, Y/N plans this through as if it's another facet to a military-grade blueprint. Is she that bad at flirting, or did Y/N legitimately think that Wanda was merely attempting to aid in attack planning? A call from Natasha, and Y/N's waving goodbye to dash down a rubble-strewn street in search of more robots to kill. Wanda can only shake her head in bewilderment.