Ridiculous

For once, everything in Wanda Maximoff's life is going well. It's late on a Saturday night in the Avengers complex, and she's crowded into a couch that's long since outlived its use-by date. The thing is threadbare, all but falling to pieces beneath Wanda's fingers, but it's somehow the most comfortable piece of furniture in the entirety of the building, so it stays.

There's a movie playing on the TV screen in front of her, one of her favorites. Wanda could close her eyes and jam her hands over her ears, yet still be able to quote the script word for word until the end credits begin. Wanda's a firm believer that this is the best way to watch a movie, where you can have a conversation the entire time and still know exactly what's going on with the plot.

Her sentiment is clearly shared by the girl by Wanda's side. Y/N L/N watches the characters race across the screen and sighs fondly.

"Listen, I don't care what the movie critics think," Y/N says, "Descendants is the pinnacle of film. I have literally never felt so satisfied in my entire life."

Wanda laughs. "Didn't you say the same thing last week about Teen Beach Movie?"

Y/N grins back at her. "Yeah, and I'll say it next Saturday about High School Musical. I'm an easy person to please, Wanda. All I need are 2000s haircuts and terrible songs."

Wanda snorts. "I thought you loved the songs, and now you're calling them terrible?"

"Well," Y/N says languidly, "I can admit that they're not, say, the most lyrically gifted. They're just fun, alright?"

Wanda leans back against the couch cushions, watching the light from the latest scene play upon the darkened ceiling. "You don't have to tell me twice. Honestly, I feel like we as a society need to give Disney movies more credit. Even the other Avengers like them."

Y/N giggles, remembering the past team movie nights they've shared. "How could I forget? I think Thor had a fundamental change in his personality when he saw Frozen, and I know for a fact that Tony hurried off to his lab for like a week after we played Big Hero Six for him."

"Tony was actually onto something, I think," Wanda says offhandedly, "I remember stopping by his lab one day and seeing all this stuff about medical assistance droids. I legitimately thought he was going to make himself a Baymax until Pepper said he couldn't use that much plastic. Still, I can hardly blame him for wanting to make at least some part of that world real. These movies are my favorites."

Y/N slumps back beside her, their heads almost inches apart. There's a faraway look in Y/N's eyes, making Wanda wonder if she's here at all or picturing herself back in the scenes of Auradon Prep. "Same here, Wanda. Same here."

She goes quiet for a moment, gaze still trained upon the ceiling. Wanda lets the voices from the TV fade into background static, using Y/N's distraction as an excuse to stare at her as she's been trying to avoid all night. Wanda knows the planes and curves of Y/N's face like the back of her hand. Even if she tries to convince herself that she isn't infatuated enough to stare like a lovesick fool, Wanda knows better. This night proves it.

It's just, well, Wanda isn't used to things being as good as this. It's easy to pretend that her life has always been perfect when she's trapped in perfect bubbles like this evening, when if you squint you could almost believe that Wanda's a normal American teenager and they're all just fine, no questions asked. If you close your eyes and let the music wash over you, Wanda is blessedly normal and there would be nothing to stop her from loving Y/N as she wishes she could.

The problems, of course, come once Wanda opens her eyes and remembers where she is again. She's not on the picturesque isle of Auradon from Descendants, nor is she a fairy tale character. There are no morals to Wanda's story, only the time-learned lesson that no matter how hard you try to fight for your cause, you'll never win unless you cheat.