Chapter 8

I was currently chatting with June, a regular in the salon when I heard the door chime open. The once cheerful tone of the salon suddenly grew quiet I turned to see Ronnie Kray standing there with two men. I turned to my boss who in the same instant turned to me, fear and confusion in her eyes.

I gulped as Ronnie's eyes caught mine and I smiled timidly before walking up to him "hello Ron, what can I help you with?"

"Good morning Freya I was wondering if you would perhaps join me for a spot of afternoon tea"

O god, he was just a driver echoed through my head. "Well that's a kind offer Ron but I'm working at the moment, perhaps another time?"

He eyed me, his eyes squinting slightly as he seemed to calculate me.

"That's ok Freya luv" my boss suddenly said "you've been working hard recently, take the day off , full pay"

Looking at her I saw her eyes scream to me

"Ah fantastic" Ron said with a smile "shall we go?"

"Um...ok just give me a moment to gather my stuff I'll meet you outside"

He nodded before walking out the door I hurriedly went to the lockers are let out a shaky breath. My manager followed me "darling, you need to get away from them, your such a good girl"

I chuckled softly "funnily enough your not the first person to say that to me"

🌹🌹

Me and Ronnie ended up having lunch at the savoy hotel, a place I could have only dreamed previously to even be near but Ron walked in like he owned the place. I could tell he had been here previous as some of the staff instantly straightened their backs. We sat in the middle of the room I could see Ron eyeing everyone in the room funnily enough though no one dared looked back.

"Was there something in particular you wanted to talk about Ronnie?"

Taking a rather loud sip of his tea he studied me before asking "earlier this week one of my boys saw you talking to a police officer called nipper Reid, I was wondering how you knew him"

My blood ran cold, flashes of the pictures yet again seemed to come to mind. I felt my heart pick up beat and my hands became cold and clammy.

"Well I don't, if you're referring to the gentleman with the long beige coat he came by the salon asking for me, he asked me to stay away from you and your brother"

His lips pursed and eyes narrowed , his tea and scones long forgotten as his gaze never faulted from my own. "And will you take the advice from this officer of the law freya?"

Thoughts quickly swirled my mind, wanting to lie seemed to be the winning side but only to appease ron, to take myself far away from the kray family was running a quick first place.

"To be honest with you ron, as much as I enjoy the company of yourself , your brother and Violet I've begun to become uneasy. I've heard stories mr kray, I've seen how your knuckles are bruised and the requests of strangers coming into the salon and asking me to talk to yourself and reg regarding club problems is getting out of hand. I must regretfully say I think it best if I distance myself from you. I'll talk to Violet maybe see if I could still do her hair but maybe see if theres someone else she may like to come to her home"

"My mum is very fond of you freya" his tone didn't waver and his facial expression gave me no indication to what he was thinking or feeling.

"And I her Mr Kray, however I came to london to be my own woman, I don't want to be someone who people come to knowing there's a possibility if they ask me I'll be a messenger to you both" I placed my napkin, which was on my lap, now on the table "if it's ok Mr Kray I would greatly appreciate returning to work, even though my manager said I could take the day off, I would still like to be busy today"

"Hmm"

He grunted before waving his hand to the driver who was sitting a few tables away from us , "yes boss?" The man had a thick Scottish accent with jet black hair

"Please take Miss Matthew's back to work"

I stood before smiling softly at Ron "goodbye Mr Kray"

He only nodded in reply.

I sinking feeling settled in my stomach as I followed the driver out of the hotel. I could only hope now it was over, yet I doubted it.