Chapter 4

The more time I spent in London, the more the city's atmosphere and excitement coursed through my veins.

I loved working late and joining the busy underground with stressed out workers with their tired expressions thinking they couldn't wait to get home and relax. My work had increased but not all for the better, I could understand now why Mrs Kray had decided to have her hair done in the privacy of her own home. It had started out as nothing at first the odd gentleman who came in with his wife had asked me to send their wishes to Violet before departing from the busy hairdressers. Then requests were starting to be made, requests which involved the twins influence to straighten out gangs coming into their businesses and wrecking their work. I feared if this continued I would be fired as I noticed my boss grew unhappy with the constant people coming in and interpreting her business.

If I had any doubt the Krays were gangsters I had none now.

_________________________________________

Waving to some of the regular women who entered the hairdressers I made my way to Bethnal Green. There seemed to be a bite in the cold wind reminding me it was now winter time and I watched gratefully as the street lamps turned on showing me the pavements.

Sighing in relief as I spotted the house I knocked and was confused when another man answered, I recognized it was the same man who drove me and Violet into the heart of London to shop and sightsee.

"Um....I'm here to do Violets hair?"

He gave me a kind smile "ah right, come in love" I smiled politely as he closed the door "name's Albie, Violet is in the kitchen"

"Thank you Albie"

As I walked into the kitchen I stopped short and felt my heart rapidly beat. There sitting in the kitchen were the twins.

"O...I'm sorry Violet I could come back..."

She waved her hand "nonsense pet, take a seat and I'll get myself sorted for you"

I smiled in thanks to Albie who took my coat and purse while I went to sit with the twins. My heart pounded harshly against my chest and I became aware of every movement I made

"Now you've met Reggie but this is my Ronnie"

Now seeing him up close Ronnie was alot different from his brother. He was the type of man if i saw him walking down the street I would avoid him, while as Reggie had softer and more gentler features which I had no doubt charmed any woman who he spoke to, Ronnie had the build of a bouncer or perhaps a bear.

"Hello Mr. Kray, pleasure to meet you" I smiled softly at Ronnie before turning to Reggie who was already looking at me with a small smile, a cigarette in his hand "Mr. Kray nice to see you again"

"Call me Reggie love, and it's nice to see you again"

Smiling polity I was slightly uncomfortable as Ronnie hadn't spoken but relaxed a little as Violet sat next to me "I forgot to tell you darling my boys are taking me out for a meal tonight"

"It's ok Mrs. Kray, we'll reschedule for another day" I went to stand but was stopped by Ronnie's voice

"You should join us Freya, may I call you Freya?" Nodding he continued "would you like to join us?"

"I'm afraid I don't have the money contribution for a restaurant Mr. Kray, thank you for the offer though"

Reggie gave a small wave of the hand "don't worry about that, the manager is a friend, let's us eat for free, ain't that right Ron"

"Hmm"

I turned to Violet who seemed to grin with happiness and gave me a hopeful look

"Then I would be happy to join you for dinner, I'll have to go home and change"