Bethnal Green

Without further ado 😊 in my defence I'm half asleep as I write this but I needed to post another chapter xx review and let me know what you think 👍.
_________________________________________

Over the next couple of weeks Mrs Kray would come in and get her hair done by me. She was very easy to talk to and such a sweet woman I enjoyed our chats.
One day Violet asked me to come round for some tea and biscuits and offered to show me London, apparently she would ask her sons to hire a car to drive us around. So on a sunny Saturday I walked to Bethnal Green wearing my best dress and my hair loose from my pins.

The road was like any other, mothers pushed their prams, children played in the street, women cleaned the doorsteps while chatting to their friends.

I smiled at a few women who in return gave me questioning glances as I knocked on the door.  A man opened it he looked to be in his late 50s with grey sleaked back hair and he wore grey slacks and a red jumper over his white shirt "yeah?" He asked with a frown on his face

"Um..I'm Freya I'm here to see Mrs Kray"

Just then Violet came to the door with a wide smile "o Freya luv come in, never mind my husband"

Smiling polity as I passed him, Mr Kray went into the living room while Mrs Kray brought me to the kitchen

"You sit yourself there luv, we'll have a cup of tea and then we'll be off"

While the kettle boiled I fixed Mrs Krays hair for her which she thanked me for. She began to ask me about my roommates

"They're all lovely girls, all of us work, some are secretarys others like myself are hairdressers, shop girls, or aspiring singers"

"The girls who sing, are they any good?" She brought the cup and sipped the hot tea

"Quite good, this one girl Roxie sings beautifully"

"My boys own a few clubs I'll ask if they need singers, do you sing?"

I shrugged awkwardly "a little, i used to sing in our church choir growing up"

Violet was interupted by the front door opening and a low husky voice "mum?"

Violet practically grinned with excitement "o that's my Reg"

I held my breath as the man walked in. He was beyond handsome, he should have been a movie star. He looked at me and raised an eyebrow

"This is Freya darlin" Violet stood and kissed her son, who never took his eyes from me, on the cheek before smoothing his suit "you remember"

"Yeah course mum" he finally looked down to Violet with a soft smile on his face "the cars out front Albie will be driving you"

"Such a good boy" she patted his cheek "do you want a cup of tea"

"That'll be lovely mum thank you" he sat opposite me. He looked immaculate in his tailored suit "so it's Freya right?"

Nodding I watched him light the cigerette and offer me one

"I don't smoke"

"Bad habit really, but I've been smoking since I got my hands n them" he smiled as Violet passed him his tea. It was clear the love Violet held for her boys was returned as you can tell the utter adoration on Reggies face as he looked at his mum.

"Where's Ronnie" she asked

"He's got a bit of business to sort out mum, don't worry you'll see him tonight"

As it turns out our quick tea turned into three more as Reggie asked me questions. I felt a little uncomfortable at first but he would occasionally add in a joke which put me at ease

"I was saying to Freya Reg you and Ron own some clubs her friends are singers"

Reggie nodded to his mum before looking back at me "do you sing?"

"Not for a long time but it's really for my friends"

He gave me a soft smile before pushing his cup away "that was lovely mum, I'll be heading off now but have a good day" he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek "nice to meet you Freya, you should come by the club sometime"

Smiling I nodded politely "thanks Mr Kray"

"Call me Reggie"

With that he left the house leaving me with a grinning Violet "he likes you"

Astonished I stared at her "that was liking me? I felt like I was being interrogated"

She chuckled and waved her hand in dismissal "my boys are like that, Ronnie will do the same, they have to be careful you see alot of people want to hurt my boys for no good reason"

Smiling slightly I followed Violet out the door and in the car.