Chapter One: The Wedding

A/N: Hi everyone, this is my first Attack on Titan fanfiction and I hope you like it. I haven't read the manga, only the anime and this will contain spoilers for only the anime. It's slightly AU, however it follows most of the story, the only difference being a few people who died are still alive in this fic.

**********************************************************************************

The big day has finally come. This is it. Here I am. The church around me is amazing, it's decorated to the brim with white ribbons and sashes. The church pews are nearly filled to the brim with people and the piano plays a soft sweet tune. Flowers hang from the end of each pew and petals litter the carpet aisle. Everyone's smiling and chatting excitedly as I continue on my way, Eren escorting me by the arm.

"It's going to be ok," he whispers softly in my ear but I can barely hear him. My satin dress feels far too tight. Stupid corset. The grey ruffles that flow from my hips prevent me from taking long strides and constrict my movement. Sparkling clips hold my bangs back yet one dark rebel of a strand decides to escape down the front of my face.

My heart's beating rapidly in my chest. I'm not sure if it's from nervousness or something else. My arm in Eren's feels like the anchor that keeps me latched into reality and it gives me a small amount of relief from the torrent of emotions swirling within me.

I can't believe this is happening. I've never been to a wedding before and yet here I am. It feels surreal and in a way I don't want it to be real at all, I wish it was surreal with all my heart. There's a priest waiting at the top, the bible laid out on the alter while the best men stand to one side.

I wish this could be my wedding.

Eren guides me into a pew near the centre. He sits on my left while Armin sits on my right. His fingers curl around my own and I know he understands how much this is killing me on the inside. Jean, Sasha and Connie sit in front of us. I think we're the last people to be seated and there's a silence as the music starts up.

"You look beautiful, Mikasa," Armin says to me, whispering quietly so that he doesn't disturb the commencing ceremony. He compliments my hair and make-up too, and Jean agrees feverishly, saying Sasha did such an amazing job.

I know they're just trying to distract me, that they're trying to help me through this horrible day and I appreciate their concern. Despite their efforts, my eyes automatically find the groom who walks up the aisle with his fiancée on his arm.

I can't deny the fact that Petra looks beautiful, far more beautiful than I do. Her golden hair is tied up in an elegant bun, exposing her fair skin and perfectly shaped collar bones and shoulders. Her dress is huge and figure hugging at the top, it spirals outwards at the bottom in a flurry of roses and diamonds crafted from silk. A pink bouquet is held in her hands and she smiles up happily at her future husband.

Levi.

My heart contracts painfully as I notice how handsome he looks in his tuxedo. It fits him perfectly and I can picture his toned figure beneath. His hair is the same as always, shaved at the sides and longer on top. His usual passive expression adorns his features as he guides the beautiful woman up the aisle. Her bridesmaids trail after her, followed by the ring bearer and I feel my eyes begin to sting.

"Hey," Eren whispers, squeezing my hand and causing me to look at him. "Who are you?"

Who am I? What kind of question is that? I look at him in confusion, not quite understanding the motive behind his enquiry.

"I'll tell you who you are," he continues quietly but there is a fierceness to it, matching the look in his eyes. "You're my sister, you're Mikasa Ackerman, the Titan Slayer and One of Humanity's Strongest and she does not cry. Ever."