Chapter Thirteen: Saying Goodbye

It's extremely early in the morning when I knock on the metal door in front of me. Everyone else seems to be asleep except for those who have morning shifts. All of my friends still lie conked out in my room, no doubt they'll have terrible headaches when they wake up. Now I'm glad I didn't drink too much last night.

The door swishes open and I come face to face with Petra. Her hair is tossed and her eyes are filled with sleep, a clear sign that I have woken her up. She looks kind of green too, a hand rests on her stomach and another rubs the tiredness from her eyes.

She tries to smile but once she realises it's me, she abandons all efforts. Her brows draw downward and her lips purse. "What do you want?"

"To talk," I reply nonchalantly, slipping past her into the room. Thank god she's alone.

The door closes and she turns towards her me. Her scowl fades into a grimace and she looks down disdainfully at her stomach. "To be honest, I never thought I'd have you calling at my door," she says.

I appreciate the fact that's she's trying to be civil. "I heard everything," I say bluntly.

"About what?" There's a truthful tone of confusion to her voice.

"While I was in a coma, you had an argument with Levi," I clarify. "I'm not sure what the hell happened or how I managed to do it, but somehow I saw it all from a different perspective than my body. I know everything about the marriage, the Scorpion Lady and my... condition."

Surprisingly, her eyes soften. "I didn't mean what I said, it was impulsive-"

"But it was completely true and that's why I'm here," I cut her off and look her dead in the eye. "I want to ask you a favour."

"A favour?" She repeats.

"Yes," I nod my head once. "I have a maximum of three weeks before I turn into a titan-"

"Mika-"

"Don't say you're sorry," I cut off her soft tone harshly. "Because I know you're not and frankly, I don't value anyone's pity especially not yours. That's why I'm leaving."

"Y-you're what?!"

"I'm leaving," I say it again with little patience. "It could be sooner than three weeks and I have no clue when exactly it will happen. So far, I haven't experienced any symptoms so I'd say I have at least three days to put a good amount of distance between me and this bunker."

"Mikasa, you can't just go out there on your own. Where will you live? Where will you go? There are titans-"

"Titans are no match for me."

"They will be once you run out of gas or if you're injured," she argues. "You need to stay where you're safe-"

"If I do that then I risk the lives of everyone else who resides in this bunker," I shake my head firmly but then my tones softens as I look away. "Besides, the last thing I want is for my friends to watch me turn. I've seen it twice already and it's not a pretty sight. I don't want anyone to see me like that especially not..."

"Levi," she finishes my sentence for me.

"Yes," I admit. "And that's why I'm asking you for a favour. I..."

There's a knot in my stomach that makes me stop what I'm saying. It's as if my throat has become clogged up and I suddenly feel unwell. I'm pretty sure I will be sick. Petra waits for me to continue and slowly, I swallow hard and meet her gaze determinedly with my own.

"I want you to make him happy."

"E-excuse me?"

"He's the only man I've ever loved. He was my first for everything and now, he's going to be my last for everything too. All I want is for him to be happy and to have a good life and I know that you can give that to him, especially with me gone."