Chapter Nine: Revelations

It's about a week later when I turn up at the training room to help Levi out. In a way, I feel sorry for him because he's been stuck with training the new recruits. Ever since we moved into the bunkers and humanity's been on the brink of extinction, everyone must learn how to use ODM gear. It's a new rule and there are no exceptions to it.

We start the training when they reach the age of thirteen but it really consists of learning what to do in emergency situations and fitness training. Shadis is in change of them for the first two years and then they graduate to learn under Levi's command. With him, they learn about combat and advanced ODM gear. Some love it, others hate it and Levi shows no favouritism to any - or mercy for that matter.

He asked me to help him teach them for the next few weeks - well, he didn't really ask me. He told me that I would be helping him which had angered me at first. I gave Jean the responsibility of leading the squad while I'm not on missions with them. I wouldn't have asked anyone else, not that I don't trust Sasha, Connie or Armin, I just don't think they would be able to make difficult decisions if anything were to go wrong. Jean will.

I walk in with my gear strapped to my sides. One of the nice things about training the cadets is that I don't have to wear my full uniform. Levi said we might be doing hand-to-hand combat so I'm wearing my usual training gear; shorts and a tank top that exposes my abdomen.

Levi stops talking to Petra as I walk in, his eyes meeting mine across the hall. I'm not exactly happy that she's here and I pray to whatever god is still out there that she won't be joining us for training. By the way her eyes harden, I can tell she's not that pleased to see me either.

I narrow my eyes, studying her appearance. She seems different somehow, slightly heavier but she's not fat. She just looks chubbier around the middle. Her hair is as immaculate as ever but she looks kind of pale. There's something off about her, but I don't quite know what it is.

All of his cadets stop what they're doing and look at me in shock. They all seems so young and unsure, much like we were during the 104th trainee squad. They're not much younger than me, but in my eyes, they're nothing but children. When it comes to our level of experience, they're miles under my standard.

"Alright, useless brats!" Levi yells. "Put your tongues back in your mouths and stop drooling over Captain Ackerman!"

They salute him and chorus; "yes sir!" before getting back to work.

Levi sighs as I reach them. "I'm starting to think you're going to be more of a distraction than a help."

"You never know, they might actually listen to someone who doesn't curse at them every two seconds," I shoot back.

"Somehow, I doubt that."

"Perhaps I should help with the training rather than Captain Ackerman?" Petra suggests, looking towards her husband and I hide my disgust. "If you don't think she'll be of any use?"

"No, I need her to demonstrate some techniques only she and I are able to do."

I raise a brow, this being the first I've heard of this news and Petra pales. "Well if only you and her can do it then why are you teaching it to the cadets? They won't be up to your standards yet."

"We're not teaching it to them, we're showing them the standard they'll need to reach if they want to be able to dispose of titans easily," Levi replies. "Besides, we might get lucky and find another prodigy like we did with Mikasa."

She gives him a pointed look. "I think Captain Ackerman may have been a once-off prize."

"Let's hope not," he mutters, "or else I may end up killing them."