Chapter Fifteen: Sanctuary

A/N: I don't usually leave author's notes but I just wanted to say two quick things:
1- This chapter contains some gory images and implied violence/abuse. Read at your own risk.
2- Thanks to everyone who reads and comments and votes for this story. I know I don't always reply but I really do appreciate it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From my perch in a tree near Sanctuary, I can clearly see the entrance guarded by two men. They look a lot older than me, both equipped with ODM gear however their stances are relaxed and they chat leisurely. It's obvious they're expecting an attack from a titan, not a human.

That's why they never even look up as I descend upon them. My blades catch the sunlight as I slice through their necks, severing their heads from their bodies. The smell of blood catches my nose and something pulses within me, like a second heartbeat. Before I can stop myself, my tongue darts out and licks my lips, saliva forming in my mouth.

Stop it.

I force myself towards the entrance and use my captain's card to grant me access. The door swishes open and without hesitation I enter the lion's den.

Most of the bunkers are built with the same layout and size so I treat it as my own one. I search every room quickly and thoroughly, knowing that the prisoners lie down at the bottom and anyone on the first five floors is an enemy.

And I never show my enemies mercy.

My blades drip with blood as I cut through anyone who stands in my way. My hood is up and eyes are narrowed, it's not like they'll live to tell of my appearance anyway but still, it's better not to take any chances.

With each floor I clear, my stomach growls at me and this inhuman pulse inside of me grows worse. I can feel something clinging to my mind, something that was never there before and each corpse seems to look more inviting than the last.

Why don't you have a bite, Mika?

Her voice causes me to slash even harder into the throat of the man in front of me and I mentally count number thirty-six. "Shut up," I growl, kicking the next attacker in the stomach and slicing his skull in two. He can't even scream, he's already dead.

You know you want to. I can feel the hunger eating away at your insides. The pain will fade as soon as you eat, I promise.

"And so will my humanity," I murmur as I move down to the next floor.

I come to a halt as I stare at the large room in front of me. I can feel my hands shaking by my sides as I take in my horrific surroundings. Wooden tables stained with blood, shackles dirtied with bits of stray flesh, spikes, knives, hammers, axes, human hair, fingers, toes... I can't tear my eyes away from the torture house in front of me.

I can hear someone inhale hoarsely to my left and I tense, preparing to strike but then I see that this woman couldn't possibly do me any harm. She's hanging from the wall, wrists raw and red from the chains that bind her. She's completely naked, and her flesh is marred with bite marks, cuts and burns. Patches of her head is bald and some of her greasy hair litters the floor, with flesh from her scalp still connected to it.

"Please..." She looks at me with frightened blue eyes. "Kill me..."

I sheathe my blades so that I don't scare her. "No, I'm not going to," I keep my voice low and comforting. "Help is on the way, you're going to be alright."

"No..." She whimpers. "Kill me and leave this place. Save yourself."

"There's no salvation for me now," I murmur as I take a knife and move to cut through the rusted chains.