Chapter Eleven: Invisible Awakenings

When I open my eyes, I'm met with the familiar interior of the infirmary. Shiny metal walls, bright lights, clean smell and warm air overwhelm my senses. Levi and Petra are in front of me but they're not looking at me. The ginger-haired woman stands by the door while the corporal sits by an occupied bed.

My bed.

A gasp escapes my lips as my gaze lands upon my body. My eyes are closed, face peaceful, skin slightly bruised but clean of blood. Raven hair spreads out like a halo around my head and the covers come right up to my shoulders.

At first, I think I'm dead but then I notice the steady rise and fall of my chest, so that couldn't be the case. Is this a dream? It couldn't be, it all feels too real and dreams are never this vivid. Perhaps an out-of-body experience? I've heard people talk about them before but I always thought they were insane.

Am I insane?

No, if my sanity hasn't been broken at this stage, it never will be.

"You've been here for the good part of three days," Petra says, a hopeless tone to her voice. "She hasn't woken up yet and I doubt she will anytime soon."

"Someone needs to stay with her," Levi replies, not even looking at her.

"She has loads of friends who are willing to sit with her, but you send them all away and keep yourself cooped up in here." A sigh escape her lips and she takes two steps forward. Her arms snake around his neck and she places a fleeting kiss to his temple. "Please, let's go back to your quarters for the night. You haven't slept in a proper bed in ages and I'll make it worth your while."

The sultry tone in her voice makes my stomach turn and I wish I could kick them out. They can't see me though, well, at least not this spirit version of myself, or whatever I am at the moment. I watch carefully as Levi's face softens and eyes glaze over. My heart drops because I know he's considering her offer and he'll probably take it. Even though I dislike Petra, I have to admit, she is very attractive and the slight weight gain has done nothing to fault her good looks.

A smile spreads across her face because she knows her offer is working and I honestly think I am going to be sick. Holding my breath, I study Levi's features carefully, watching as his eyes seem to focus on my sleeping face. His brows draw together and he shrugs her off of him, not noticing her hurt expression.

"No thanks," he answers. His tone is so dead and cold, it causes her to take a step back and give him his space.

"Why do you insist on being close to her?" She demands. "I've asked you so many times to stay away from her so we might actually make this marriage work then you make her a captain and ask her to train with you-"

"She is one of our best soldiers," his own voice has an edge to it now. "She deserves to be a captain." There's a pause and I can almost feel his glare radiate around the room. "And let's make this clear, you do not get to decide who I spend my time with."

"All I'm asking is that you spend a bit more time with me and less with her," she argues. "I'm trying to be the good wife but it's not working because of her!"

"It's not her-"

"It is because you love her!" Petra's voice rises higher and as soon as the words tumble from her mouth, a dead silence fills the air. I can see tears begin to form in her eyes, clinging to her long lashes.

I turn my gaze from her and look towards Levi, holding my breath in anticipation. He hangs his head, face shadowed by his hair and I wish I could see his expression. I wish I could read his mind, to know what he's thinking.

Petra takes a step forward, hands shaking as she clenches her fists by her sides. The tears fall freely from her eyes now, trailing like waterfalls down her cheeks. "You're not even going to deny it, are you?"