Rukmi and Shishupal.

Rukmini had one brother named Rukmi who was most heroic, beautiful, tall and sturdy. He was pride of the noble Bhishmaka. He had won different wars and he had carried out several campaigns. Queen Mahadevi loved her son very much. Rukmini also loved her brother more than any one.

Rukmini was now of sixteen years. Rukmi had known this. His wish was to strengthen the kingdom and to do that, he made friendship with Shishupal, ally of Jarasandha and prince of Chedi kingdom (son of Damaghosha). Shishupal was predestined to die through Krishn. But Shishupal did not try to improve any day. He was wicked.

Rukmi fixed Rukmini's wedding with Shishupal. He came to Bhishmaka and told him this news.

Rukmi - Pranipaat Pitashri! I have one news for you.

Bhishmaka - Pranipaat Rukmi! What is the news today?

Rukmi - I have fixed wedding of Rukmini with Shishupal, my friend.

Bhishmaka was surprised.

Bhishmaka -  Did you not think that your Rukmini likes him or not? How can you fix her wedding without my permission? How can you do this foolishness?

Rukmi - Why do Rukmini's views matter here Pitashri? I'm her brother and I won't think bad about her. Think practically. Shishupal is ally of Jarasandha of kingdom of Magadh. And Jarasandha is one powerful ruler of Aryavarta. If we marry Rukmini to Shishupal, we can get favours from King Jarasandh. Shishupal will also help us.

Bhishmaka - Yes your true. But I thought of wedding Rukmini with Dwarkadhish. He is none other than noble Krishn. He is revered and knowledgeable. He has displayed his power through slaying of Kamsa and several other demons. He had come to Kundina for two days when you had gone campaigning. I want Rukmini to marry Lord of Dwarka.

Rukmi - That cowherd Pitashri! How can you think of this??? That Krishna ran away from the battlefield.  He made kingdom Dwarka, because he had fear of Jarasandha and his army. That Ranchodd ran away. I would not give you to do this to Vaidarbhi. He will give her sadness and nothing else Pitashri! Rukmini will marry Shishupal. I can't back out from my promise now or else Magadh and Chedi may wage war on our capital Kundinapuri.

What could King Bhishmaka say now? He did not want war but he also did not want Rukmini to marry Shishupal. He had to say yes to Rukmini's wedding with prince of Chedi Shishupal.

Meanwhile, that young lady Rukmini was unaware that her brother had fixed her wedding with Shishupal. She loved to paint therefore, she was painting. On her lovely canvas, she thought of drawing and painting some flowers but her mind could not properly paint flowers because she thought only about Krishn. Her hand automatically painted a golden crown with peacock feather and one flute. She came back to reality from her thoughts. She saw that on her canvas, she had painted the peacock feather and flute of Krishn. She remembered his smiling face. She was within his love.

Rukmini's friend Ketaki, knew very well about this. Rukmini's behaviour had changed from the time she met Krishn. Rukmini would be quiet and her face would not be that of a happy lady. Her friend finally asked her, "Do you truly yearn for him princess? I know you do want to meet him again Oh royal lady. You are in love. You can't sit without him, eat without him and think about your life without him. Why do you not tell your father?"

Rukmini was shy this time. Her eyes were moistened. She gave one hug to Ketaki.

Rukmini - Oh my dear Ketaki, only you understand me. I can't tell this to father. How can I say any thing about whom I love and whom I yearn for? But I truly love him. I yearn for his transcendental touch. I can't think of me without him.

Ketaki - I will pray that you get the golden fortune of wedding Dwarkadhish.

Rukmini smiled.