Southern Air Temple

"Wait till you see it Katara. The Air temple is one of the most beautiful places in the world." Aang was excited to be finally home however he didn't know how much that place has changed since we have left and I couldn't bring my self to tell him. "Aang, I know you're excited, but it's been a hundred years since you two have been home." Katara said cautiously. I couldn't bring myself to listen in anymore and just looked at the clear blue sky mentally preparing myself for what I was going to see. Each time I thought about the empty temple guilt washed over me I could have tried to save them I could have stayed behind and fought. But would that have really worked Monk Gyatso was more skilled than me and he still died would I have died besides them or even made a difference.

Being close to the temple Aang decided it was time to wake up Sokka who did not want to wake up. So Aang took a stick and ran it up and down Sokkas sleeping bag and said. "Sokka! Wake up!There's a prickle snake in your sleeping bag!" Causing Sokka to wake up in a panic screaming. "Get it off! Get it off!" Hopping around in a panic in his sleeping bag losing his balance falling face first into the ground. Me and Katara laughed while Sokka looked irritated.

After a while of flying on Appa and Sokkas complaining at Aang for burning his blubbered seal jerky we could see in the distance the Batola mountain range where the Air temple was. "The Batola mountain range! We're almost there!" Aang couldn't hold his excitement being so close to home but I could do everything but look in the direction of the Air temple. Sokka saw this and asked quietly so that Aang and Katara couldn't hear. "Hey you're okay Yuki what's bothering you." While putting a hand on my shoulder. I turn around and look at him and quietly say. "Everyone we knew is long gone and we will never get to see them especially Monk Gyatso and Nun Nozuma." With out wanting to the memories of the two started to flood my mind and tear threatened to spill which I'm sure didn't go unnoticed by Sokka but I didn't let them fall. While Aang and Katara where still busy talking Sokka pulled me into a hug and patted my head comforting me. "There it is... the Southern Air Temple." Aang said we where so close to finally being home. "Aang, it's amazing!" Katara stated at the beautiful scenario in front of us. "We're home, Appa, Yuki. We're home." Aang turned around and looked at me with his precious smile. Which caused me to feel guilty for not telling him that there will definitely be no one waiting there for us to greet us back home.

Landing safely Katara was mesmerised by the beauty of the temple while Sokka was more concerned about food. Aang ran forward into the main part of the temple where he could point to the different places in the temple. "So that's where my friends and I would play airball! And... over there would be where the bison would sleep... and..." Aang took a look around again and saw how empty the whole place was. Katara saw his hesitance in carrying on and asked. "What's wrong?" "This place used to be full of monks and lemurs and bison. Now there's just a bunch of weeds. I can't believe how much things have changed." Aang was right a lot has changed this place was still beautiful but it felt empty, images of how this place used to look like kept flashing in my mind.

Both Katara and Sokka must have seen our expressions so they tried to change the subject. "So, uh, this airball game? How do you play?" Sokka asked not knowing how hard it was going to be playing this game for him. "You guys go ahead and play I'm going to go and check out my room and maybe get some of my and Aangs stuff since we will be travelling a lot from now on." I said but Aang looked at me a bit concerned. "Are you sure Yuki it might be fun to play airball again." Aang tried to persuade me into playing with him but I wasn't really one for games. "Sorry Aang but you know I wasn't ever one to play games." I give him a smile and walk up to Sokka and give him a pat on the back. "Good luck Sokka you'll need it." Without waiting for a reply I walk into the temple and toward the direction of my and Aangs room.

I stood in front of my room hesitating a bit to open it but I do. Looking around I see nothing has changed except the layers of dust everywhere. Walking up to my closet and take a bag out and put some more clothes in and a sewing kit just in case. I was about to leave and go to Aangs room to get some of his stuff when I notice a scroll on my desk that wasn't there the night that I left with Aang. Picking it up and opening it the first thing it said was. "To Yuki and Aang. From Gyatso and Nozuma." Deciding to read it with Aang I put it in the bag and go over to Aangs room to get his stuff.

Third Pov

While Yuki was still in getting stuff from hers and Aangs stuff. Aang, Katara and Sokka just passed the statue of Monk Gyatso with Aang paying his respects to his old teacher. Making there way to the Air Temple Sanctuary Sokka asked. "Hey Aang do you think Yuki will be okay." "Don't worry Yuki can take care of herself quite well. She is one of the youngest Airbender masters there's been. Plus she always trained instead of playing with the others. She always said it was so that she could become stronger and protect me from anything in the future. You know she actually isn't from this temple." "Wow really what temple is she from then?" Katara asked and Aang replied. "She is from the Western Air Temple which is runned buy Nuns and is mostly women. I actually didn't know that she was sister but we where friends as her and Nun Nozuma her teacher came to the Southern Air Temple often I didn't find out she was my sister until she got her master tattoos a couple of months before her thirteen birthday. She said that apparently she wasn't allowed to tell me cause the Monks forbide her until she became a master then she moved he to the Southern Air Temple to be here with me. She always treated me like her younger brother even when I didn't know and I think at some point she also realised that I was special and she found out I was the next Avatar so she worked hard so that she could protect me even though I'm suppose to be stronger." "Well it seams that she loves and cares about you a lot Aang." Sokka said. "Yeah she does." Aang replied with a smile forgetting about the empty Air temple for a while.

Yuki Pov

Finally finishing getting some stuff from my and Aangs room I had a big bag in my hand. Knowing the others are at the Air Sanctuary I decided to take a walk around the Temple how I usually did in the past. Not to far away from me I saw Sokka run past me and a couple of minutes later a bright blue light came from the direction of where Sokka went. I instantly know it was Aang going into Avatar mode. I ran in there direction and saw Katara ahead of me also running in the same direction.

When we entered the room me and Katara joined Sokka behind a huge rock so that we wouldn't be blown away. "What happened?!" Katara shouted over the loud wind. "He found out firebenders killed Gyatso!" Sokka shouted back. "Oh no, it's his avatar spirit! He must have triggered it! I'm gonna try and calm him down!" Katara shouted again over the chaos around us. "Aang, I know you're upset... and I know how hard it is to lose the people you love. I went through the same thing when I lost my mom. Monk Gyatso and the other airbenders may be gone, but you still have a family. Sokka, me and Yuki we're your family now." Katara said trying to calm down Aang and Sokka added. "Katara and I aren't going to let anything happen to you and Yuki. Promise."

Katara walks towards Aang and takes one of his hands into her own. The glow on his tattoos fades and he falls onto the ground exhausted Katara caches him and holds him. "I'm sorry." Aang says. "It's okay. It wasn't your fault" Katara replies. "But you were right. And if firebenders found this temple that means they found the other ones, too. We really are the last Airbenders" Aangs says and looks at me sadly. All I could do was go over to him and give him a hug.

We where packing up and getting ready to leave when a Lemur comes and gives Sokka fruits and nuts. Aang ended up naming the Lemur Momo and now it's officially apart of the group. As we where fly away from the Air temple I remembered the scroll I found in my room. "Hey Aang I found a scroll in my room from Monk Gyatso and Nun Nozuma." Aang looked at me with disbelief until I pulled it out of my bag and he moved closer to me to read it. I started to read it out loud to me and Aang while Sokka and Katara listened in. "To Yuki and Aang. From Gyatso and Nozuma. Its been a couple weeks since the two of you disappeared but we both know that at some point you two will return. We left this letter in Yukis room knowing that she would definitely come a check her room while Aang would go play around. We wish you the best of luck and want to say how much we love the both of you since we don't know when the next time will be when we meet again. To Aang you have a lot of training to do but we know you will do great and we know that Yuki will always be there to guide you when you need it so don't stress over it too much we know that you will make great friends in the future that will help you in your Avatar duties so don't try doing everything by yourself like your older sister Yuki does. To Yuki we know how much you care about Aang you always have ever since he was born and that you wish to protect him but let others help you, you are not alone learn to trust and open up to more people and don't forget about you own happiness. Best of luck to the both of you. Sincerely Gyatso and Nozuma." I looked over to Aang and saw that he was crying and at that point I couldn't hold in my own tears anymore and just let the out. Both Katara and Sokka brought us into a group hug letting us cry to our hearts content.

(Word Count: 1930)