Chapter 11

I didn't even bother to look up as I know my face shown brightly with embarrassment. I settled for a stiff nod in agreement as my stomach threatened to gobble itself up in anticipation of the awaiting food.

Unless it's poisoned.

No, I'm not going to think negative about this lunch...but at the same time, I really want to live past seventeen.

"On second thought, I'm not all that hungry." I nervously said, well practically lied because I was starving.

"None of the food is poisoned, I assure you, Darling." Nicholas tried to ease my unsaid fears, "If it will put your fears at ease, I will take the first bite."

"No, I'm not worried...too much." I lied through my teeth, I was terrified. I didn't wanna die yet.

"Or so you say." He sarcastically replied, his stare burning at the side of my face before he lightly chuckled in amusement. 

A pout involuntarily laced my lips in embarrassment at being caught and at his obvious amusement.

A gentle, lingering kiss suddenly caressed my temple, making the pout on my lips drop at the unexpected show of affection as the sparks numbed my brain and turned it into jelly and turned nearly made my knees buckle.

"You are surely the cutest soulmate in history, Darling." He whispered as he removed his arm from around my waist and moved to pull the tiffany chair from where it was nestled." My Lady."

I bit my lip to try and suppress the smile that threatened to graze my lips at the tone he had addressed me in. It was so smooth and rich and made the two words sound so rich and blush worthy. 

"Thank you." I quietly murmured as I placed myself on the chair before he gently moved it into place almost against the table. 

He moved from behind my chair and pulled open his chair before placing his musculine, broad form down. 

"Lunch is served." He said with a snap of his fingers as the food dome covers all disappeared into thin air.

My mouth instantly started watering at the sweet aroma that left it and its mere drool worthy sight. I had to stop myself from letting it show as I averted my gaze from the plates of food placed in front of us and to the beautiful, rich, minty green grass. 

"Darling." Nicholas said making my eyes avert to him intently to hear what he had to say. I could see a figure approaching from my peripheral view, causing me to face the figure as it stood in front of our table.  

There stood a woman with midnight, fluffy hair tied in a high, tight bun with porcelain like skin that peeked from the black and white, butler's outfit she had on. Her face was void of emotion except for the thin, tight lipped scowl that lined her lips.

"Good afternoon, Your Majesties." She bowed to us before her attention went to Nicholas," My sincerest apology for the interruption, but Princess Amelia requests your presence in the King's study, Your Highness."

I don't know if imagined it, but I could swear that I saw Nicholas tense at the mention of the name and his jaw seemed tense in controlled irritation or anger as his eyes turned a darker shade of its normal, gorgeous sapphire blue as an unreadable emotion swirled in them.

"Amelia? Are you certain?" He asked with a faint tone of annoyance lacing his tone.

"Yes, Your Majesty." She softly sighed with her hands neatly placed behind her back. 

As much as her words sounded rehearsed and formal, a tinge of what I associated with irritation laced her words.

Their reactions made me curious as to who this possibly disliked person could be. The reaction her mere name brought onto Nicholas made me curious as well as unnerved.