Chapter 19 - Change is Just Around the Corner

—JENNIE—

My parents were not able to visit me right after Christmas because of a critical business trip they have to attend in China. I'm not mad nor disappointed, I believe they are just doing their job in the family business since we have thousand of employees to look after. That's the truth with owning a business. At first when you start, your main goal is to profit for yourself but once you grow big and hire several people to work with you, most of the time you think of them and their families. That you as the owner or the CEO, cannot afford to fail the business as people depend on the legacy you built.

I did not understand it at first. Growing up, my parents were always away busy with work. I became rebellious as I felt I was being neglected. I became mean and cold and put up walls within me. But all that changed when my father started to focus on me. When I entered college, he started mentoring me on handling our family business. I would work as a clerk in one of our retail stores and I have to report to him every day. He would tell me stories about the people in our company and how they changed his life. He would go on and on and later tell me that the reason he gets up every day is no longer about the money nor about us. It's for the employees and the customers we serve to. He no longer operates on a sole motive but for the good of the community around him.

That conversation with my dad led me to pursue business and mirror his work ethics because I became like that when I had Nayeon, Jin, and Irene as my first employees. My responsibility towards the business and my staff is the main reason why I cannot afford to leave them alone whilst I went away and enjoy the company of my girlfriend this holiday.

Speaking of girlfriend, I did not hear a lot from Lisa right after Christmas Day. She would tell me she's busy at work. She would message me in the morning and during her free time which is scarce. Other than that, we both became preoccupied with work.

I was busy with the shop. I went to work every day including holidays and weekends. I do this maybe because I don't want to entertain the thought of missing the presence of the person who turned my life upside down. So I'd rather drown myself to work.

It was closing time on New Year's Eve. Just like Christmas, I have nothing to do. I have no parties to attend to when Nayeon brought up the idea.

"Jennie, would you like to come with us in Shibuya? Let's drink and watch the fireworks. Come on! We don't have to be with our families right now!" She suggested. Nudging me in the arm.

"Hmm.. guys, you know I'm not fond of that" I defended.

"Not now, Boss! This just the first time! Last year, we didn't do this. Come with us, let's welcome the New Year all together! It will be fun!" Jin blurted out.

I went silent for a brief moment. Well Lisa and I don't have anything special planned for tonight. So I may just well enjoy the night with my staff.

After a few moments, I sighed and faced them, "Well, alright, I'm coming! Let's also celebrate for having a successful year. Drinks are on me!" I exclaimed, giving them a thumbs-up.

"Yeaaahh that's right! Woohoo!! Come on!! Let's go!" Irene shouted while dancing to herself while walking towards the front door.

...

We arrived at Yugyo Wadaru, a seafood izakaya located at Maruyamacho, Shibuya, just a 9-minute walk from the station.

It was nine in the evening when we reached the Japanese bar. People were out and about on New Year's eve. Shibuya is a crowd favorite to celebrate the annual countdown.

We were seated near the front window. Nayeon said she already booked this table last week. The waiter gave us the menu and they immediately start browsing through the liquor section.

This place was jump packed with people. Most are still dressed in corporate suits implying they just got out from work. There's a long queue outside waiting to be seated. Noise is all over the place. The music from the TV as Countdown live show is on, noise from the people talking to their colleagues, and the noise coming from outside as there are a lot of people wandering the streets of Shibuya wearing a New Year's hat and just having a good time.

"I'll have the Yamazaki Whiskey on the rocks" I told Jin when he asked me what I would like to drink.

Jin ordered a few beers, Nayeon likes sake, and Irene ordered some cocktails which I never heard before. I also asked the team to order sushi and sashimi sets for all of us.

The waiter came and took our orders leaving us behind.

"So, Jennie, care to tell us your love life or how well we did this year?" Irene started a conversation.

I laughed first before I gave an answer.

"Well, my love life is pretty great. Thank you for asking." I smiled and nodded at her. My cheeks turned red. They were all smiling and laughing back at me.

"And to break the news to you, our revenue this year went up to almost 60% compared to last year's revenue. So, congratulations team for a job well done!" I clapped my hands and they were all screaming.

"Woohoo! Congrats everyone! Good job! Good job!"

We gave high fives to each other.

"Speech! Speech!" Jin shouted. He was referring to me.

I cleared my throat and looked at them, "Well, first of all, congratulations guys for surviving our year two of operations. I am very grateful to all of you. I'm glad I met you and that I made the right choice in hiring all of you to work with me in building and operating Nie Kaffe. I wouldn't done it any other way." I expressed my gratitude towards them.

"Awwww. Our boss is becoming a softy." Nayeon teased. We all laughed.

"Well, I hope you guys will stick with me for few more years. Especially now that I'm planning to expand the business by opening several locations across Tokyo and I want you guys to take in-charge. I want you all to be managers." I told them.

They all stopped laughing and their eyes went wide. Now it's my time to laugh at them.

"Are you serious, Jennie?" Nayeon was covering her mouth in shock.

"Yes, guys. I'm serious. I think it's time to scale the business and I'm promoting all of you since you are my pioneers." I confessed.

They looked at each other and were all speechless.

"So, guys, are you up for the challenge?" I asked them again. I was biting my lip to stop from laughing.

Jin was the first to say something, "Whoa, Boss J, we didn't expect this. How come you'd surprise us like this! But, thank you, thank you, Jennie! These two girls can't speak right now but for sure they are also grateful just like me. Thank you for the trust and the opportunity! We never thought we'll be managers in a short period of time!" He shared to the group.

"You love Nie Kaffe as much as I do. It became our common ground, our home away from home." I replied. I tapped Jin's shoulder to express my gratitude.

"Uhm, thank you, Jennie! Really, I'm super happy! I mean, the pressure is there but I never really enjoyed my work except when I was hired for Nie Kaffe. This experience is by far the most exciting and most enjoyable in my career." Irene expressed her passion towards the company we built.

"You, the naughtiest among the three, what can you say?" I told Nayeon, mocking her. I was glaring at her with my sharp cat eyes and raising my eyebrows. I was holding back my laugh.

"Yah! Jennie unnie! Why you like that!" Nayeon blurted while wiping her the tears that run down here cheeks.

"I'm happy too! I can't wait for the next chapter of our careers with you. We will stay with you, unnie. But I'm kinda sad we won't be working together anymore." She confessed. We laughed as Nayeon can't hold back her tears.

"I know, guys. Later on, you will be assigned to your respective locations. But I promise you, we will still see each other for our annual gatherings like this." I said.

And with that, we gathered around and formed a group hug. We raised our glasses and shouted, fighting! As way to show our camaraderie.

We enjoyed the rest of the night with all the food and drinks we ordered.