CHAPTER 38 - Wearing the Crown Comes at A Cost

—JENNIE—

"Jennie, let's go. The press is waiting for you." My mother spoke as we hop in our armored SUVs surrounded by security.

The funeral was a blur. I couldn't remember much of it. I felt like I was in a daze the entire time. All I could think of was my father's smiling face and how much he loved me. The thought of never seeing him again was unbearable. The only thing that kept me going was the support of my family and friends.

As I sat in the car on the way to the press conference, I couldn't help but think about Lisa. I knew that I had hurt her, but I couldn't help it. I was dealing with so much myself, and I didn't want to burden her with my problems. But at the same time, I felt sorry for her. She didn't deserve this. She had done nothing wrong.

But I had it worst when it came to managing my trauma. I was still trying to come to terms with the fact that my father was gone, and I had to take care of my family and our company. The board of directors of JRJK Seoul Corp is pressuring us for a successor. They didn't care that we were grieving. All they cared about was the business.

As I reached the venue of the press conference, I could feel the weight of the situation on my shoulders. The press was already there, their cameras flashing and their voices buzzing with excitement. Security had to tighten up just to keep them at bay.

I took a deep breath and tried to steady my nerves. This was not a moment I had prepared for, but I had to do it for the sake of my family and my father's legacy. I was the only one who could face the press and announce the news of my father's passing.

I stepped up to the podium, feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders. The cameras clicked and the reporters shouted their questions. I took a deep breath and began to speak, my voice shaking slightly at first.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for being here today," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "As you know, my father passed away last week, and we are all still coming to terms with the loss. He was a great man, a loving father, and a brilliant businessman. We will all miss him dearly."

I took a moment to compose myself before continuing. "As for the succession of JRJK Seoul Corp, the board of directors is working closely with our family to ensure a smooth transition. We have a team of experts who are dedicated to keeping the company running smoothly, and we are confident that we will be able to honor my father's legacy and continue to provide the best possible products and services to our customers."

I could feel the weight of the responsibility settling on my shoulders, but I knew that I had to be strong for my family and for the company. As the press conference came to an end, I stepped away from the podium, feeling drained but also relieved that I had been able to do what was necessary.

As I stepped away from the podium, I felt a wave of emotion wash over me. It was tough to stand in front of the press and talk about my father's passing, but I knew that it was important for the company and for my family. I took a deep breath and gathered my composure as I made my way back to my mom who was there to support me.

...

During the evening, my mother called me to her office. She sat me down and said, "Jennie, I know this is a difficult time for you, but we have to talk about the company. You know how serious this responsibility is. Your father left big shoes to fill. We need to make a decision soon."

I felt overwhelmed. I knew that my mother was right, but I didn't know if I was ready for this kind of responsibility. "I don't know if I can do this, Mom. I don't know if I'm ready," I said, tears streaming down my face.