Chapter 26 - Nothing to be Afraid of

--JENNIE--

The week is almost coming to an end. Lisa is busy at work during the day while I shop in Orchard road, visit museums, explore Singapore's tasty dishes, and visit some of my former Uni friends. During the afternoon, Lisa would join me exploring the city and have dinner together. Nevertheless, I was content knowing she's with me at the end of the day.

Today, I decided to attend Lisa's conference. She said she's going to give a speech at the end of the event. Good thing I packed a business suit during this trip. I put on a black long blazer paired with black pencil skirt and black heels. I straightened my hair with Dyson Airwrap and applied light make-up. I was good to go. Lisa headed first to the venue and I told her I'll just get an Uber from here.

...

I arrived at Novotel Singapore, the venue for Lisa's conference. I entered the building and headed straight to the designated hall. I saw a standee that reads, "Singapore Hackathon Q1 by Harbor Ventures"

"I am in the right venue." I thought to myself.

I was about to enter the room when someone called my name.

"Ms. Jennie Kim?" I turned around and saw a man in black suit and tie.

I stared at him, trying to recognize his face.

"Oh, that's really you. Hi, Ms. Jennie Kim, I am Teddy, the founder of Harbor Ventures and organizer of this event." He offered his hand for a handshake.

I smiled at him and gladly accepted his gesture. "Hi Teddy, nice to meet you. How did you know me?" I asked. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Well, I worked with your father, Mr. Kim, a long time ago. You were young at that time. Please tell him my regards." He put his hands inside his pockets.

"My pleasure, sir." I replied.

He smiled back at me, "May I know why you're here? I did not see you on the list" He looked confused.

"Oh. A friend invited me to join today. If that's okay." I let out a soft laugh.

"Oh sure, Ms. Jennie, my pleasure. Come on in!" He led me inside the conference hall.

There were rows of chairs and tables. Participants wore a designated shirts and are grouped into teams. The host and event organizers are on the stage, flashing a presentation material. Teddy led me to the front row and asked me to sit at the empty chair. Lisa is nowhere in sight.

After a couple of minutes, the presentation ended and the host announced the closing of the event. In the corner of my eye, I saw Lisa enter the stage. She was looking at the audience maybe to look for me. I raised my hand mid-air and finally, her eyes caught me. She waved her hand and smiled back at me.

We were interrupted in our gaze when Teddy borrowed the microphone from the host and spoke:

"Before we end the Hackathon, I would like to acknowledge the presence of Ms. Jennie Kim of JRJK Seoul Corporation. JRJK Seoul is one of the early investors of Harbor Ventures way back almost fourteen years ago. So I'm grateful to Mr. Kim, Jennie's father for the opportunity. Let's give Ms. Jennie Kim a hand for paying us a visit." Teddy clapped his hands the moment he finished his speech. Everyone started to applaud as well.

I froze in my seat. I suddenly turned pale. I felt embarrassed not just because everyone in the room found out about me but specifically because of Lisa. Lisa does not have any idea I came from the Kims of JRJK Seoul. I don't know what will be the implications of this new found information to her.

I slowly stood up to bow down towards Teddy and I turned around to face the audience to bow down as well. When I sat again, I looked at Lisa and I cannot read her face. She was sporting a shy and faint smile while clapping and it scared me more.