17|LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

‼️ possible triggers in this chapter: (violence, implied 'sexual assault' —it hints at past events and there is a scene where it seems like it's going to happen, but it's only in favor of gemma getting triggered by thinking it's going to happen

‼️ possible triggers in this chapter: (violence, implied 'sexual assault' —it hints at past events and there is a scene where it seems like it's going to happen, but it's only in favor of gemma getting triggered by thinking it's going to happen.)

Gemma leans against the kitchen counter with a cup of coffee in her hands, grinning in amusement at the sight before her. Aunt Jenna was basically collapsed into a chair, dark circles under her eyes and her orbs squinting against the lights in the kitchen.

"Do you want some coffee?" Gemma questions.

Jenna rests her head against the counter while motioning for Gemma to move forward. The vampire does so, gaping in shock whenever the Sommers woman grabs the cup of coffee in her hand and downs it in one go. "Thank you," Jenna mutters.

"You're incredible, truly."

Jenna mumbles something under her breath before standing up and dragging herself out of the kitchen. Elena gives her a confused look in passing, sending Gemma a questioning look as she grabs an empty coffee cup.

"She's hungover," the Salvatore fills her in. "She drank a lot more before we left."

"Does she remember anything about running into that man last night?"

"Don't think so," Gemma shrugs. "Even if she did, it would've looked like another overbearing flirt."

Elena hums, pouring coffee into the cup and turning back toward Gemma. She blinks at the Salvatore's horrified expression. "What? What is it?"

"You're drinking plain coffee, Elena. What's wrong with you?"

"Don't tell me you're one of those people who make their coffee into syrup!" Elena gasps.

Gemma squints at the girl, "so what if I am?"

"I don't see the appeal."

"You'll try it one day," Gemma says firmly. "There's no way I'm ever letting you go without trying coffee with sugar and cream in it."

Elena rolls her eyes before rounding the counter and brushing last Gemma, locking the side doors in the kitchen and jiggling the handle to make sure it's shut. "There's a storm coming today," she says absently. "The sun's not out."

Gemma hums, "my favorite weather."

"I'm driving over to your house in a little while. Are you coming?"

Gemma stretches out her arms and yawns, nodding to Elena's question. "I guess so. Nothing better to do."

"Do you not like to go home?"

"It's never quiet there," the vampire says. "Never."

Elena nods with a dry smile, "that's what it's like having siblings, Gem."