25|THE RETURN

Gemma sits slumped over on Elena's front porch, her bones tired with exhaustion and agony. Damon had saved her from that fire; from John Gilbert's wrath, which is why the woman is even in the vicinity of the Gilbert's property. Damon, with his newfound sense of humanity, wanted to offer Jeremy Gilbert kinds words about the death of Anna. Why on earth he thought Jeremy was a good start to his road of redemption, she'll never know.

"What are you doing here?"

Gemma stiffens up and slowly stands from the front porch swing. She didn't know Elena would be home or she never would've came with her brother. Although the more she thinks about it, that might've been his plan all along.

"Damon wanted to have a word with Jeremy."

Elena nods wordlessly and Gemma stares at her, taken aback. She was surprised the girl didn't have more to say. Months ago, Elena would've had a fit if Damon even thought of Jeremy; how people change. Gemma moves forward and stretches out her hand, "you want me to take your bag for you?"

Elena grabs her outstretched hand and shuffles closer, rubbing her thumb over the ring that resides over Gemma middle finger. It wasn't her daylight ring, maybe that's why Gemma felt hot white anxiety slither over her. It was the ring Katherine gave her and Elena had seen it dozens of times; she's even made under the table snide remarks about it, hoping Gemma wouldn't catch on.

"Why do you still wear it?"

Gemma swallows thickly and tries to tug her hand back weakly. Elena doesn't let her.

"I don't know," she whispers.

Elena hums and drops her hand. "You smell like smoke," she comments while wrinkling her nose.

Gemma hums and doesn't reply. She felt herself shrinking, she felt all the words die on her tongue. She was so used to being the bigger person, so used to making Elena shrink down and peer up at her with those big eyes. The female Salvatore wasn't quite sure what to do here, wasn't certain there was a right or wrong move.

Elena takes the final few steps forward and presses her lips against Gemma's cheek, her breath fanning out over the vampire's cool skin. She pulls away and reaches up with a crooked smile pulling at her lips, tucking a strand of hair behind Gemma's ear. "I'm so glad you're okay, bunny."

Gemma stops breathing and her muscles lose all strength and will to restrain whatever patience she had left. It takes all of half a second for Katherine to realize Gemma knows and she crashes into the younger woman, her fingers tangling in her hair and her other hand pulling her close. The Pierce closes the distance between their lips, giving Gemma no choice but to kiss her back. The Salvatore finds the courage to touch her, the feel that the other woman is right there in front of her. She fists Katherine's shirt in between her palms, her fingers shaking and her ears ringing. This wasn't supposed to happen- this was never supposed to happen, but God... was Gemma glad it did. She's never felt more alive, she's never felt more like herself and-

The door swings open and a familiar red headed woman is clearing her throat, her arms folded and a disappointed look casting itself toward Gemma's way. "It's late, you should probably come inside Elena."

"No!" Gemma practically shouts. 

Jenna looks at her, almost betrayed. "Gemma, you're my friend and I understand you're going through something, but Elena is coming inside and you should go home. Call Willow, I'll send Damon downstairs.'

Gemma swallows thickly and meets Katherine's eyes, "be... be safe please."

Katherine smiles, "I will, Gem. I couldn't be any safer than at home."