Chapter 8: Growing Up

It's been about a year and a half since I gave birth to our little girl. Her hair is growing out. And it's blonde and it mostly looks like Newt's. She has my nose, Newt's smile, both our brown eyes, and my personality.

She's trying to learn to talk, but it comes out as baby language. She's also been trying to walk and crawl. She's getting close. We've been taking care of her, playing with her, reading her to sleep, cuddling with her, and I've been singing her lullabies. The others have also been coming to visit the cabin to babysit her and hang out with her. As I was cleaning her room, something unexpected happened.

"M-Ma...ma..." a voice just said. I turned my head towards Angelina as she is standing up from her crib, staring at me. Did she just say...?

"Ma...ma...Mama...! Mama!" Angelina just said her first word! I felt so happy, I tried to not cry in front of her. I picked her up and went to Newt in the other room.

"Newt! She just said her first word! She called me 'mama'!" I say him happily. Newt gasps with a smile.

"She did?! Well, our little girl is bloody growing up. She's a fast learner. She's getting close to learning to walk and crawl and now she's already starting to talk. Can you say 'dada'?" Newt says as he picks up Angelina and carries her in his arms.

"Come on, can you say 'dada'?" I ask Angelina with a smile. I could tell she's struggling to say it.

"Da...! Da...da...Dada...! Dada! Dada!" she says with a big smile and giggles. I am so proud of her finally learning to talk. Newt smiles and looks at her.

"Aww! Yes, I'm Dada!" Newt says to Angelina with that British accent and with a big smile on his face. I laugh at the sight.

"Wow, Newt, even though you're so sweet and comforting, I never knew you were so great with children." I say to him while smiling. He smiles back.

"I never knew you were, either. Actually, I did, cuz you formed a bond with Chuck." Newt says. I look down at the memories Chuck and I had together and I remembered the promise that I made to keep him safe until he got killed. Newt notices how I feel and wraps an arm around me while holding the baby.

"Yeah. I miss him. Very much. If he were alive, he'd definitely would spend a lot of time with Angelina. He'd be like her older brother. And...And it's so heartbreaking that he never got to find his parents and I...I broke my promise to keep him safe...He's probably mad at me for breaking my promise." I start to tear up while trying not cry in front of our baby girl.

"No no no no no. After all we've been through, surviving and fighting back all those situations, being my wife, raising a child with me...I bet he's very proud of you and watching over us, including Angelina, right now. Even Alby, Ben, Winston, Jeff, Zart, your mother, and Teresa, they're all watching over us and very proud of all of us for fighting back W.C.K.D., escaping the maze, the scorch, and getting here to safety. And I bet they're especially proud of you because you've been fighting back like a strong girl always does. You even risked your life to save mine so that I wouldn't die from the Flare. You're the strongest and bravest girl I know and love and nothing can ever change that. Alright?" Newt comforts me. I nod and wipe my tears.

"Okay." I whisper and sniffle. Angelina starts making a fuss from seeing me cry. Newt hugs her tightly and rocks her in his arms.

"Shhh, it's okay, my little angel." Newt tried to calm her down. I rub her back.

"Aww, don't cry, sweetie. Look, look, Mommy's not crying, she's happy. See? Come on, show me a smile or I'm gonna tickle it out of you!" I say to Angelina as I tickle her to cheer her up. She starts laughing which makes Newt and I smile.

"That's a good girl..." Newt says to her.

*time skip*

As night fell, it was time to go to bed. I could see Angelina is getting tired. I carry to her room and put her on her crib. I start to sing her a lullaby. Newt comes in the room to say goodnight to her after I sing.

"Time to go to sleep, Angelina." I say to her. She shakes her head in response.

"Guess I gotta sing you another lullaby.

Lavender's blue, dilly, dilly
Lavender's green
When I am king, dilly, dilly
You shall be queen
Who told you so, dilly, dilly
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly, dilly
That told me so
Call up your men, dilly, dilly
Set them to work
Some to the plough, dilly, dilly
Some to the fork
Some to make hay, dilly, dilly
Some to cut corn
While you and I, dilly, dilly
Keep ourselves warm
Lavender's green, dilly, dilly
Lavender's blue
If you love me, dilly, dilly
I will love you
Let the birds sing, dilly, dilly
And the lambs play
We shall be safe, dilly, dilly
Out of harm's way
I love to dance, dilly, dilly
I love to sing
When I am queen, dilly, dilly
You'll be my king
Who told me so, dilly, dilly
Who told me so?
I told myself, dilly, dilly
I told me so
"

I finish singing her a lullaby and notice her sleeping. She looked so cute sleeping.

"Goodnight, Angelina." I whisper as I kiss her head and walk to our room.

"Goodnight, little princess." Newt whispers and kisses her head multiple times with so much love and caresses her face softly. I put my hand on my heart and smile at the cuteness.

Newt and I go to our room, lay down on the bed, and cuddle.